Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2019
Hello,

I am in a bit of a bind, and don't know what to do at this point. So i am having an issue where my PC will no longer boot. Whenever i do boot or restart my machine the VGA LED comes on and stays on. Then after about 15 - 20 min or so the PC will boot like nothing happened. Just to give a back story I have had this current build for little over a year now and only have recently (2 months ago) upgraded the motherboard and CPU. After i upgraded the two components the PC still worked just fine. Then this morning my PC was working fine i was on it doing some reports for work all is well, then i left the house came back and my display was off. Tried to reboot the PC and that is when i noticed the VGA LED was on. So i though my GPU had died and left to cool off when i came back my PC was on like nothing happened. i was able to login and mess around, then noticed it was running slow and decided to reboot since i had just hard powered it off. Then same thing happened VGA LED on and no POST. I have tried everything i can think of under the sun, still no luck. I will post my PC specs and troubleshooting below. I am not ignorant when it comes to computes i have been in the technology field for about 8 years now building PC's and working with them.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

- Restarted the PC

- Cleared the CMOS

- Removed the GPU entirely and plugged HDMI into the motherboard (same error and results btw)

- Plugged the GPU into another PCI slot

- Removed RAM and put one in at a time

- Completely took apart my PC and re-seated every component to make sure everything is seated properly

- Checked all power cables making sure they are secured and seated properly

- Made sure the monitor is on the correct display output

PC SPECS:

CPU - Intel I9 9900k

MB - MSI Z390 Pro Carbon AC

RAM - GSkill Rip Jaws 3200 32GB

GPU - MSI 1080 Seahawk

Storage - 2x 500GB Nvme Samsung 960 EVO

PSU - EVGA G3 1000W

Cooling - EK Custom loop for CPU and GPU

Solution
So to give an update, now when i power on the pc. I have timed this and consistently after 12 min of the VGA LED being on it boots to bios and now windows like normal. I installed multiple hardware stress test software and even Intel's CPU stability health and test check. Everything came back passed with no errors. I am not sure what to think at this point.
Have you checked your hard drive's health? Consider backing up your data as well, just in case your storage media is dying. Try using a different SATA cable and a different SATA port on the motherboard for your Windows installation disk.
Jul 6, 2019
Did you reinstall Windows when you changed the motherboard? If not, do it now. Also, try uninstalling your GPU drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller, then install the latest drivers from Nvidia's website.

Yes i re-installed windows when I installed the new hardware. Also now i cannot even get it to boot anymore, I rebooted it because it went to PC recovery and when i hit continue it rebooted -_- now i can no longer even get to windows.

Jul 6, 2019
So now when you turn on the PC, what happens? Does the motherboard BIOS splash screen appear? Can you enter the BIOS? Or do you not get a signal(from the both GPU and motherboard ports) on the monitor, but the PC starts up?

So to give an update, now when i power on the pc. I have timed this and consistently after 12 min of the VGA LED being on it boots to bios and now windows like normal. I installed multiple hardware stress test software and even Intel's CPU stability health and test check. Everything came back passed with no errors. I am not sure what to think at this point.

Have you checked your hard drive's health? Consider backing up your data as well, just in case your storage media is dying. Try using a different SATA cable and a different SATA port on the motherboard for your Windows installation disk.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.