[SOLVED] MB won't run new GPU, but I can't update BIOS.

Jan 16, 2019
Hi, I bought a GT 1030 to upgrade my old PC. I've got a foxconn H61MXL/H61MXL-K Motherboard, an i5 2320, 8GB of ddr3, and a Radeon HD 6670 GPU. I thought all I had to do to get the MB to recognise the new card was update the BIOS. I've tried using a bootable USB with the latest BIOS from the foxconn website, using rufus to format the USB beforehand, but when i try to boot from it i get a message saying "Boot error:Bad or missing Command Interpreter" Does anyone know what I cant do to get this card to work? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Solution
That card should work as-is on the 3rd gen Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge Intel board. No BIOS update should be required. I stuck a GT 1030 in an old LGA 775 socket board and in an old AM2+ board. No BIOS update was required for either of them, and they are a lot older than your H61 board.

Are you sure you remembered to plug the monitor's cable into the GT 1030 instead of the motherboard video port?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That card should work as-is on the 3rd gen Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge Intel board. No BIOS update should be required. I stuck a GT 1030 in an old LGA 775 socket board and in an old AM2+ board. No BIOS update was required for either of them, and they are a lot older than your H61 board.

Are you sure you remembered to plug the monitor's cable into the GT 1030 instead of the motherboard video port?

Solution
Jan 16, 2019

Yes, I've had to put it back in to make the system work.