Question MBD+CPU vs GPU upgrade advice needed for gaming

Feb 26, 2019
Hi everyone,

I bought the parts for my current pc around 2 years ago, here are the current specs:
MSI H110M motherboard
Pentium g4560 3.2Ghz with stock cooler
gtx 1050ti 4gb
2x8gb
ram
650w psu
1x 128gb SSD, 1x256gb SSD, 1x1tb HDD

this was previously used to play league of legends, overwatch, and world of warcraft. now I'm trying to get into rather unoptimized and what's believed to be cpu-intense games such as Rust and escape from tarkov, and I'd also like to turn the graphics settings to the max and still run 60 fps on games released in 2018+.

budget level is: student from southern Germany, and here is what I can afford to buy at once:

the new 1660ti
or
Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
+
Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x

I'm planning on buying all 3 some time during the year. I never overclocked, always had an impression it had extra potential costs (i.e. something just breaks and you have to replace it).

on gpu choice: before 1660ti I was thinking about 1060 6gb or 1070, but 1660ti so far looks better for its cost.

cpu choice: my mobo is mATX, and rather old, I had to upgrade bios to support kaby lake as well, and I'm not sure it's worth (or even possible) upgrading to coffee lake if I decided to go for something like an i5-8400. I decided to give amd cpu a go, because I keep reading better reviews about them lately. 2600 vs 2600x, I don't mind spending an extra 30$ if 2600x works the same as an overclocked 2600.

the main question: What should I upgrade first for better gainz right now?

bonus question for extra points: any advice on a better component?
I'm not super knowledgeable about PCs, I just read stuff on the internet whenever I feel like upgrading every 1-2 years or so.

thanks in advance my friends

ASK THE COMMUNITY