[SOLVED] MBP or Dell XPS 15/17?

nichobt12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
So, I have been going back and forth between a Dell XPS 15 or 17(coming soon ~August) or a MBP. It isn't for creative reasons, I just want something powerful that I can use for several years. With Apple migrating to their own silicon how risky do you think buying an Intel MBP is at this time? I could wait until the end of the year, but we have no guarantee that the MBP will even be updated this year(doesn't look likely until 2021?).

Just interested in everyone's opinion of the risk of losing support in 2 years as they did when transitioning from PowerPC to Intel in 2005/6.

Thanks
Nick

Solution
So, I have been going back and forth between a Dell XPS 15 or 17(coming soon ~August) or a MBP. It isn't for creative reasons, I just want something powerful that I can use for several years. With Apple migrating to their own silicon how risky do you think buying an Intel MBP is at this time? I could wait until the end of the year, but we have no guarantee that the MBP will even be updated this year(doesn't look likely until 2021?).

Just interested in everyone's opinion of the risk of losing support in 2 years as they did when transitioning from PowerPC to Intel in 2005/6.

Thanks
Nick
Which MBP...

MacOS destroys Windows in terms of usability, if you don’t want it for gaming I’d always take the Mac.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's hard to say anything about this without knowing exactly what your usage is. If you have specific needs, you ought to know if a Mac or a PC environment is better for your needs. It's a bit like asking if you should buy a pickup truck or a sports car without knowing why you want to buy the vehicle.

nichobt12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Yeah, it is a good point. I have used both Windows and Apple laptops. I currently have a Surface Book 2. It is a good laptop, but I want something a bit more powerful. I know MBP is probably overkill if I am not using it for creative purposes, but I do like how well MacOS runs. My need is a high powered laptop that doesn't slow down during multitasking. It is mainly Word Processing/Outlook/Multiple Browser windows. I want something with a lot of power, a lot of battery life and something I can open and close and get right to work when I need to. I hope that makes sense.

I also like my pickup truck, but I wouldn't mind a sports car also ;).

nichobt12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Yeah, I agree to an extent. Outlook is a terrible hog of system resources, in windows at least. While I won't need the graphics processing, I do think there would be a pretty big difference in a full power mobile processor vs some of the slower variants. That goes for either MBP or a Dell XPS, for example. For me it isn't about the money. My real question here was how safe it is to buy a MBP with Intel Silicon vs waiting for Apple Silicon or to go with another Windows laptop. I think I will be fine either way. It looks like I would get 3-4 years on a MBP before Apple will stop supporting Intel. Just depends if I want to pay a little extra for Apple.

Thanks
Nick
Which MBP...

MacOS destroys Windows in terms of usability, if you don’t want it for gaming I’d always take the Mac.

Solution

nichobt12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Which MBP...

So, I would definitely take a high end MBP. Gaming isn't a priority at all as I have a Windows Desktop for that. If I did any gaming it would not be extremely graphics intensive. I just want a powerful laptop that gives me a lot of flexibility for 2-3 years minimum. I am disappointed in my Surface Book 2 honestly. The Surface Book 3 is a garbage upgrade too.

So, I would definitely take a high end MBP. Gaming isn't a priority at all as I have a Windows Desktop for that. If I did any gaming it would not be extremely graphics intensive. I just want a powerful laptop that gives me a lot of flexibility for 2-3 years minimum. I am disappointed in my Surface Book 2 honestly. The Surface Book 3 is a garbage upgrade too.
Would you be wanting the 16” MBP or the 13”? I have the Base 16” and that’ll do pretty much anything you ask it to within reason.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am admittedly NOT a fan of Apple products. With that said, they have created a universe in which their supported items work well, and well with each other as far as integrated factors. You pay a premium price to be part of that universe. You should expect from good to down to workable usability and great support for the product up to the point that it's not. The result of that business practice is that (some) users have this idea that the products are superior because they run "better". Planned obsolescence has a way of doing that.....anywho...

I have had great service and support out of Dell products of their higher quality tiers. XPS is the premium compact offering and is a slick unit. It's all soldered and you buy it like it's going to be forever, just like an iWhatever. Even with that said and assuming it was ever even going to be an issue Windows level of software obsolescence is FAR farther back on hardware. IF you are willing to spend time waiting it will work for a long time. You can still use a Core 2 Duo with Win 10 if you REALLY want to. I am sure there is a way with Mac too, but it's not supported.

nichobt12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Would you be wanting the 16” MBP or the 13”? I have the Base 16” and that’ll do pretty much anything you ask it to within reason.
Yeah, I would get the 16" MBP. I have a 15" Surface Book 2 and the similar sizing would still fit my backpack. I have had an Apple laptop before, but it has been about 10 years. It was back in the, ironically, Core 2 Duo days for Apple. It was a great laptop.

I can't disagree with punkncat, though. I know I would probably be happy with the XPS as well. A small part of me wishes that the 15" could be specced with the 2060 Max Q instead of the 1650 ti. I just hate buying a graphics architecture that old on a $2.5k+ laptop. That is part of the reason for the 17" XPS.

Either option would do really well for what I need I think. From everything I am reading, I would be good with Intel in a MBP for at least 3 years, and probably up to 5-7 years. I never keep a laptop quite that long anyway. The decision is a difficult one!

Yeah, I would get the 16" MBP. I have a 15" Surface Book 2 and the similar sizing would still fit my backpack. I have had an Apple laptop before, but it has been about 10 years. It was back in the, ironically, Core 2 Duo days for Apple. It was a great laptop.

I can't disagree with punkncat, though. I know I would probably be happy with the XPS as well. A small part of me wishes that the 15" could be specced with the 2060 Max Q instead of the 1650 ti. I just hate buying a graphics architecture that old on a $2.5k+ laptop. That is part of the reason for the 17" XPS.

Either option would do really well for what I need I think. From everything I am reading, I would be good with Intel in a MBP for at least 3 years, and probably up to 5-7 years. I never keep a laptop quite that long anyway. The decision is a difficult one!
The 1650Ti is the same gen as the 2060

If you’re not gaming the MacBook has a better trackpad, screen and OS. Not having to deal with Windows is great. Plus you get access to stuff like Final cut if you wanna do anything creative wise.

nichobt12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The 1650Ti is the same gen as the 2060

If you’re not gaming the MacBook has a better trackpad, screen and OS. Not having to deal with Windows is great. Plus you get access to stuff like Final cut if you wanna do anything creative wise.

Yes, both Turing architecture, but the 2060 is quite a bit faster and supports ray tracing(not a huge deal for me anyway on a laptop). But I agree overall. If I am not going to game on the laptop then it doesn't matter a whole lot anyway.

Yes, both Turing architecture, but the 2060 is quite a bit faster and supports ray tracing(not a huge deal for me anyway on a laptop). But I agree overall. If I am not going to game on the laptop then it doesn't matter a whole lot anyway.
But it’s not an older gen, it’s just a weaker card in the stack. Ray tracing isn’t good enough to warrant the performance hit anyway tbh.

Are you considering doing anything on the laptop that will require a bit of grunt?

nichobt12

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
But it’s not an older gen, it’s just a weaker card in the stack. Ray tracing isn’t good enough to warrant the performance hit anyway tbh.

Are you considering doing anything on the laptop that will require a bit of grunt?

Nothing crazy. No image/video processing. I just want something that will last several years. I would rather buy something with too much power than too little.