Question MBP or PC and help w/ build

ACF1994

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
Hi again,

So it's finally happened, my late 2015 MBP decided to end its life today and i am now forced to decide whether to dish out ±£2000 on a new one or finally make the transition to PC. Would appreciate it if any techno wizards out there could throw in a few suggestions. Needs to be a laptop, built decent for gaming and i don't mind spending a bit for initial future proofing.

The only thing that's keeping me with the MBP is the ecosystem and the connectivity with iPhone (i.e desktop / document files / photos instantly saved to cloud and accessed through either device). If there's a windows alternative to this, i'd love to know. Aside from that, i don't really use anything apple specific on it. In fact, i've gone as far as partitioning my HDD with Parallels to gain access Windows.

Which brings me on to my next question: If i'm moving away from apple, should i buy or build a new PC Laptop? If build, anyone got any suggested builds (i.e through PC part picker) / If buy, any decent sites, stores etc. to look into for one?

Budget wise, i guess if i'm willing to remortgage for a MBP then i'll do the same for a PC laptop. So anywhere from £0-£2000

TLDR: Need new laptop for gaming, help.

Thanks gang

DSzymborski

Titan
There's usually software for most things in a Windows environment, but a lot of choices, so you'll need to research what's best for your needs. On my end, my Android phone backs up every file I use automatically on my phone while on my PCs, I have a cloud backup with Crashplan and both a file server and a general backup server at home.

As for building on PCPartPicker, that's really only a desktop thing. If it's a laptop, you're going to be buying some company's already-configured laptop. What to spend, however, depends on your needs beyond "gaming" and what those gaming requirements themselves are. There's a world of difference between wanting to play League of Legends and Cyberpunk 2077.

ACF1994

Honorable
Oct 22, 2016
??

You can buy a PC. You can build a PC. You can buy a laptop.

Without great difficulty, I don't think you can build a laptop.

I assume your expectations for a gaming laptop have already been adjusted. Down.
As someone mentioned, I was meant to write pc / laptop. Basically I’m on a laptop now and was considering getting another however I’m open to a desktop considering my main use would be games and I get a laptop wouldn’t compare performance wise to a desktop

DSzymborski

Titan
Ah, I was a bit confused because of this!

TLDR: Need new laptop for gaming, help.

I thought from the original post that it was a desktop or a laptop, but the TLDR at the bottom convinced me I was wrong!

Generally speaking, only get a laptop if you need the main advantage of a laptop: the portability. Otherwise, you'll get more for your money from a desktop, you'll get standardized parts that can be replaced and upgraded, you'll get far more customizability for your needs, and you'll generally get a much longer overall lifespan.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor (£316.99 @ Technextday)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 RGB 48.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFI D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£157.68 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£109.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£72.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card (£1149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 4000D ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.06 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£125.47 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £2082.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-31 17:48 BST+0100

Next gen Hardware is coming soon. So for now this is good. But will be replaced soon. You can hold off on the build for now if you still are fine with using that MBP for few more months. If not this is a really good Gaming PC. All high quality and reliable components.