[SOLVED] MBR 1 error

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I'm running Win 7 Pro 64X on a Dell Studio XPS 9100.

I reconfigured my drives today to add an SSD storage drive.

I have 5 SATA ports on the motherboard and 3 SSDs and 2 HDDs are installed. All are working.

I also have a PCIe SATA card with 2 ODDs connected.

The boot drive is in the SATA 0 port (my understanding that the boot should be in the lowest numbered port).

Whenever I boot I'm getting an MBR 1 error "hit any key to boot from floppy." If I do a hard shutdown at that point and hit F12 while it's restarting to assign the boot order, it shows the correct SSD already selected (and it's on top). When I select that it boots normally.

Is there anywhere else in the BIOS I can set the boot order so that Windows will remember it? (For the record I don't think the boot drive was in port 0 before today.)

Solution
Figured it out. On a Dell "F2" gets you to the BIOS. When I checked the settings the drive in port 4 was selected as the boot device (before today I may have had the boot device in that port). I changed the settings, saved, and it booted normally.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Figured it out. On a Dell "F2" gets you to the BIOS. When I checked the settings the drive in port 4 was selected as the boot device (before today I may have had the boot device in that port). I changed the settings, saved, and it booted normally.

Solution