Question MBR to GPT

mgbjay

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
www.flickr.com
OK ... I've read a bit and see that a system requires UEFI to convert disks to GPT. I have three drives in my system that are 128GB SSD's. They are strictly for storage of data.

I am on a system that is UEFI compliant, i.e., BIOS is UEFI BIOS - WIN10 - 64bit - 32GB ram - latest WIN10 updates installed and working properly.

The system is stable and running well with no glitches or issues.

What I would like to know are some facts regarding GPT:

On the SSD's that are used strictly for IMAGE STORAGE and will remain used for those purposes ... even though they are 128GB is there any point to convert them to GPT over MBR in order to obtain any "throughput/read-write" or speed advantages that may not be available while using them as MBR disks?

While I understand that this "may" be a theoretical question ... and it may not, I do not know ... what I want to know if there may be an advantage to doing so. And if there is, why there is?

There is a ton of information on how to perform that change from a mechanical/procedural point of view, so that is not what I need - it is the potential practical advantages - if any - of making that change.

All answers with certainty as their basis - either Pro or Con will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to any that take this on and I appreciate your thoughts.

MGBJAY
mgbjay@yahoo.com

Only if the drive is larger than 2TB or you want to create more than 4 partitions on the drive.

GPT is also more fault tolerant than MBR due to GPT having multiple redundant copies of the partition table to recover from. MBR only has one copy of the partition table and if it ever gets corrupted there is no easy way to recover.

Last edited:

mgbjay

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
www.flickr.com
Thanks to each of you that took the time to answer. And thanks for providing answers to to the actual question ... and not going off on all manner of tangents inquiring about the type of cooling system i use ... or video card or whatever.

And then of course there are the usual answers that involve "why I'm even using WIN10 and not LINUX", etc., etc.

Enjoy the rest of the day, and I look forward to spending more time here when I seek short, specific and to the point answers regarding tech.

mgbjay