Question MBR to GPT

Dec 24, 2022
MBR to GPT with existing MBR drives and a new drive I want configured for MPT. I have to much data on my existing MBR drives to back them up anywhere so I am concerned about the 2 partition types ability to co-exist on the new system. Two of my existing drives have windows 10 boot partitions. I used to have software that would allow me to look at the boot partition on a drive and change it from primary. I don't have access to that any longer. I am worried that if I install windows 11 on my new clean drive and subsequently add in my older drives that they will be a problem due to UEFI being enabled. Could someone shed some light on this for me? Thank you.

Dec 24, 2022
I am upgrading my MB and Processor as well as moving to windows 11. ASUS Prime Z690-A LGA 1700 with an i7-12700KF. I have a new 8TB drive that I could set up as MBR transfer my data to it in 2TB chunks and keep everything MBR. I was really hoping to access the larger partitions available with MPT.

Dec 24, 2022
Yes but with drives that have Win10 boot partitions that I need to have access to in the upgraded system. Sorry if I am not being clear.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So the new system that has Win11, MPT and UEFI won't have a conflict with the MBR drives, even though they have Win10 boot partitions on MBR?

Running Win10 I used usb dock station to grab data from old ide drives with Winxp on them. As said, no problem using other storage drives regardless of format. Only issue is if you tried to boot off of that drive.

Reactions: TOMH2022