[SOLVED] MBR vs GPT for when adding new SSD to PC (moving OS from HDD)?

joneslaw

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016
Below are my PC specs:
  • A8-7600
  • Gigabyte RX 460 2GB
  • 8GB (2x4) RAM
  • 1TB Seagate HDD 7200 RPM (with 2 partitions, 1 containing Win 10 OS)
I've recently bought an SSD to move my OS to. (Note that I haven't done this before since this is my first personal computer). At first, I was wondering if it was possible to move my OS since my HDD was partitioned into 2 parts: 80GB (for the OS) and 850gb (for games, programs, media, etc.) when I've built it a few years back. But after research, I can't find any article/forum about moving OS from "HDD partitions to SSD", all are just about "HDD to SSD", so I stopped minding about it. I'm using this link to guide me through the process: https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/transfer-windows10-to-ssd.html

However, after installing my SSD to my motherboard and starting the PC, I checked my File Explorer and the SSD was not shown there. I've researched and found another link from easeus' website https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/ssd-not-showing-up-windows-10.html , where one of the options was to Initialize new SSD in Windows 10. It mentioned about choosing between MBR and GPT, as shown in the picture below: View: https://imgur.com/fWItzWX

But it did not mention which I should choose for certain purposes. Which of the two should I use? I've tried researching about the two but everything mentions about partitions, which I'm not gonna be doing on my SSD, it's just an OS drive and maybe put 1 game and remove it after playing it and put the next one that I'll play. So, which one is better for my case?

Last edited:
Solution
1. GPT.

2. Migrating your current config to the 120GB SSD can be done, but that drive is right on the edge of TooSmall.
You almost certainly won't be able to put a game on that drive as well as the OS and applications.

But, to migrate to this SSD:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C...

USAFRet

Titan
1. GPT.

2. Migrating your current config to the 120GB SSD can be done, but that drive is right on the edge of TooSmall.
You almost certainly won't be able to put a game on that drive as well as the OS and applications.

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Power up
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive EXCEPT the larger D partition
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

joneslaw

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016
1. GPT.

Power off
Power up
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive EXCEPT the larger D partition
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Thank you. Will update here my results.

joneslaw

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016
Below are my PC specs:
  • A8-7600
  • Gigabyte RX 460 2GB
  • 8GB (2x4) RAM
  • 1TB Seagate HDD 7200 RPM (with 2 partitions, 1 containing Win 10 OS)
I've recently bought an SSD to move my OS to. (Note that I haven't done this before since this is my first personal computer). At first, I was wondering if it was possible to move my OS since my HDD was partitioned into 2 parts: 80GB (for the OS) and 850gb (for games, programs, media, etc.) when I've built it a few years back. But after research, I can't find any article/forum about moving OS from "HDD partitions to SSD", all are just about "HDD to SSD", so I stopped minding about it. I'm using this link to guide me through the process: https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/transfer-windows10-to-ssd.html

However, after installing my SSD to my motherboard and starting the PC, I checked my File Explorer and the SSD was not shown there. I've researched and found another link from easeus' website https://www.easeus.com/storage-media-recovery/ssd-not-showing-up-windows-10.html , where one of the options was to Initialize new SSD in Windows 10. It mentioned about choosing between MBR and GPT, as shown in the picture below: View: https://imgur.com/fWItzWX

But it did not mention which I should choose for certain purposes. Which of the two should I use? I've tried researching about the two but everything mentions about partitions, which I'm not gonna be doing on my SSD, it's just an OS drive and maybe put 1 game and remove it after playing it and put the next one that I'll play. So, which one is better for my case?
Ok I've done selecting GPT for the SSD in Disk Management.
There are more than 2 "parts" I see in Macrium Reflect, shown here: View: https://imgur.com/pAXwmfM

I know that I have to uncheck #4 part (D: ), and leave the #2 (C: ) checked, but should I also uncheck 1 and 3?
Also, on the SSD, a 16 MB part is separated, with the 120 GB part just greyed out. Is this fine?

Edit: Nevermind about the SSD being greyed out, just realized I need to Create Simple Volume in Disk Management. Anyway, my question regarding the parts 1 & 3 still stands...

Last edited:

joneslaw

Reputable
Aug 12, 2016
On Disk 1, select ALL partitions except the D.
Ok, seems I've completed everything now, but used a different software. For some reason, after moving OS using Macrium Reflect and unplug all drives except the SSD and trying to boot out of it, it just displays the "Reboot and select proper Boot Device " error. I rebooted with both drives plugged in and cleared the SSD and then I decided to use Aomei instead, got the moving of OS completed, and I followed the same "SSD only" boot process and it seemed to work fine. However I'm left with the Disk Management config here: View: https://imgur.com/yi1gagi
I was wondering about the system reserved being left in the HDD, but since booting only with the SSD plugged in worked fine, I think I'm gonna clear this system reserved HDD partition and merge with the D:/ . Both drives are also 100% healthy in HD Sentinel, so I think I'm at peace now. Anyway, thanks for your help, your procedure gave me understanding of what to do even when using a different software program.