[SOLVED] MBR2GPT Error: Cannot create EFI system partition.

Feb 13, 2022
I'm trying to convert from MBR to GPT using MBR2GPT tool in order to switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. I'm following the steps from this blog, the validation is successful, but I am still getting the error while converting. I browsed around around the web but none of what I found was much help.

My disk management;

The error:

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What is the disk? HDD or SSD? What's your system? A desktop or a laptop? laptop from some manufacturers have system reserved partitions with different IDs than Windows default data disks.

Have you tried the conversion in Windows PE?

Is the drive encrypted with BitLocker? You have to suspend encryption/BitLocker before conversion.

Also if the drive is a hard disk try defragmenting it if defragmentation is needed before conversion.

I'm trying to convert from MBR to GPT using MBR2GPT tool in order to switch from Legacy BIOS to UEFI. I'm following the steps from this blog, the validation is successful, but I am still getting the error while converting.
Delete 17GB recovery partition.
Execute in elevated command prompt:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
select partition 1
(select 17GB partition)​
delete partition override
exit

Feb 13, 2022
What is the disk? HDD or SSD? What's your system? A desktop or a laptop? laptop from some manufacturers have system reserved partitions with different IDs than Windows default data disks.

Have you tried the conversion in Windows PE?

Is the drive encrypted with BitLocker? You have to suspend encryption/BitLocker before conversion.

Also if the drive is a hard disk try defragmenting it if defragmentation is needed before conversion.
It's HDD on a PC. And t's not encrypted with BitLocker. And I haven't tried Windows PE yet.

Last edited: