MCE 2005 wireless networking: lost connection with Encrypt..

I am using a D-Link 713P AP with 64-bit Encryption enabled. My Media Center
2005 PC has a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless adapter (with latest drivers)
configured with the same Key as the AP. I also have a laptop running XP Pro
(SP1) configured with the same Key as the AP.

THE PROBLEM: Although signal strength is high, the Media Center PC looses
connection with the AP after a few minutes. However, the laptop connection
works fine. When encryption is disabled, both computers connect OK to the AP.

When I replace the DWL-G520 card with a Netgear WG311 (with latest drivers)
the behavior is the same as before: when Encryption is enabled the Media
Center PC looses connection after a few minutes. When Encryption is disabled
the Media Center connection is OK.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance!

are you using windows to manage your connection, or usint the dlink utility?

"JJayabee" <JJayabee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using a D-Link 713P AP with 64-bit Encryption enabled. My Media
>Center
> 2005 PC has a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless adapter (with latest drivers)
> configured with the same Key as the AP. I also have a laptop running XP
> Pro
> (SP1) configured with the same Key as the AP.
>
> THE PROBLEM: Although signal strength is high, the Media Center PC looses
> connection with the AP after a few minutes. However, the laptop connection
> works fine. When encryption is disabled, both computers connect OK to the
> AP.
>
> When I replace the DWL-G520 card with a Netgear WG311 (with latest
> drivers)
> the behavior is the same as before: when Encryption is enabled the Media
> Center PC looses connection after a few minutes. When Encryption is
> disabled
> the Media Center connection is OK.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!

In configuring the D-Link and Netgear adapters I have used the configuration
utility that was supplied with the adapters. When that didn't work I tried
using Windows to configure the adapters. That did not work either.

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> are you using windows to manage your connection, or usint the dlink utility?
>
> "JJayabee" <JJayabee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using a D-Link 713P AP with 64-bit Encryption enabled. My Media
> >Center
> > 2005 PC has a D-Link DWL-G520 wireless adapter (with latest drivers)
> > configured with the same Key as the AP. I also have a laptop running XP
> > Pro
> > (SP1) configured with the same Key as the AP.
> >
> > THE PROBLEM: Although signal strength is high, the Media Center PC looses
> > connection with the AP after a few minutes. However, the laptop connection
> > works fine. When encryption is disabled, both computers connect OK to the
> > AP.
> >
> > When I replace the DWL-G520 card with a Netgear WG311 (with latest
> > drivers)
> > the behavior is the same as before: when Encryption is enabled the Media
> > Center PC looses connection after a few minutes. When Encryption is
> > disabled
> > the Media Center connection is OK.
> >
> > Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

I did not use yet MCE2005 with Wireless, but I do not think it that it
should different than regular WinXP.

Usually if the Wireless does not work with the manufacturer utility there
is almost no chance that it will work with WZC.

1.. When you try it with the original utility switch off WZC.
2.. Losing connection while switching On WEP/WPA might indicate iffy
connection.
If your Wireless PCI is between the desktop case and close the wall (or
other obstructions) move it to the center of the room and closer to the
wireless source and try again.
Jack (MVP-Networking).