Question Meaning of concentric rings on the recorded surface of a Blu-ray after burning ?

edytibi

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014
Hello!
To keep safe my family video recordings I burn Verbatim Datalife Printable Blu-Rays (MID: CMCMAG-BA5-000) using a Pioneer BDR-209DBK firmware 1.51 (latest) and ImgBurn version 2.5.8. I always pack my mp4 files as ISO image, put the ISO in a RAM Drive (ImDisk emulated) and write it at 6x. Never had a buffer underrun error thanks to the ram drive, and every time I verify the burn with ImgBurn procedure - it compares byte-by-byte the Blu-Ray and the ISO.Most of the time the recorded surface was uniform.

The last batch of Blu-Ray was an exception from my usual 10 pieces spindle, I got greedy and bought a 25 pieces spindle. The last batch, without exception, after burning has multiple concentrical rings on the recorded surface, especially on the outer half of the disk, some more obvious, some faded, but still there. Every disk with concentrical rings verified OK (no mismatch, no read retries), I could copy just fine all the files, with some short speed drops in certain points, and all copied files have the same MD5 checksum as the original files.

My question is: why those rings appeared (drop in writing speed)?Because of a bad media, that will fail sooner than the blu-rays with uniform recorded surface? Or those rings are a sign of a poor quality burn (failing drive)?

I had one disc left from the old 10 pieces spindle and it burned without rings after 6 discs from the new batch, all with rings.

edytibi

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2014
After buying another spindle of 10 pieces of the same Verbatim Datalife Printable Blu-Rays I found out that this lot burned without concentric circles on the recorded surface.The recorded surface is completely uniform.
Conclusion: always buy a 10 pieces spindle, never again 25 pieces spindle.