Measuring Jitter and packet loss with the game server im playing on?

barroso

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
My ping is max 20ms above the 60hz server ticks yet i consistently encounter issues like shots not registering - watching enemies head's bleed on replays or needing an excessive amount of bullets to kill the enemy - and that happens versus players with lower, equal, twice/trice higher ping than mine so i take it its not ping related or the ping values are not accurate.

On the other hand nobody i killed ever complained of the same happening in my favor so to say.
I usually notice a degradation of those issues when there's bad weather yet ping is never affected.

If anyone experienced with this things is in the mood i'd like some elucidation of the issue and whether is this to be expected with wifi, but my main concern is whether there is a way to measure the actual jitter and packet loss to that specific server, a 3rd party software/website or windows feature? Also how to acquire the server's IP address. Thanks.

Solution
Depends on how much effort you want to go though. You can capture the data with a program like wireshark and actually see how long every packet took to get acknowledged. This will only be obvious for TCP based data anything UDP is controlled by the application so you may or may not be able to tell. It mostly depends if the data in encrypted or not too proprietary.

Still most games keep a tcp session open to things like the login server so you would be able to see any loss or jitter on that.

There are built is report that will give you some of this but really to get best results you need to learn how to read the data stream manually. The packets will still be decoded but understanding how ACK and sequence number work is critical...

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
it be ur end it happens to me on certain servers its to do with ur service provider i been having ping issues but its to do with our service provider here in nz atm i was on KF2 it was choppy as between a ping of 80 -260 but was competitive & i am on wifi on a laptop reset ur modem helps to sometimes mines been bad but try find servers closer to ur location helps usually overseas player messes with the ping alot to

barroso

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Well my ping is pretty much stable according to the in game monitor although as i said im not 100% sure its actually accurate as there is an unnatural amount of ppl with exact same ping, not sure how is that possible.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
nah it varies between where gamers are connecting from diffrent overseas gamers from round the world can throttle back any1 with a decent ping i try get the gamers with the worst ping kicked to servers which are more local to htem as it puts ur components under immense load & massive lag when i lag my ping blows out hugely usually from gamers from the other side of the world

Depends on how much effort you want to go though. You can capture the data with a program like wireshark and actually see how long every packet took to get acknowledged. This will only be obvious for TCP based data anything UDP is controlled by the application so you may or may not be able to tell. It mostly depends if the data in encrypted or not too proprietary.

Still most games keep a tcp session open to things like the login server so you would be able to see any loss or jitter on that.

There are built is report that will give you some of this but really to get best results you need to learn how to read the data stream manually. The packets will still be decoded but understanding how ACK and sequence number work is critical.

Since you have actual data capture along with very actuate time stamps you get a good indication of any delays and what is causing them.

Solution