mechanical drive problems

kaimaie

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
the past 2 times ive started and restarted my computer i get a error claiming that my seagate ST2000 2TB drive failed SMART check but chkdsk didnt find anything, seagate tools found that it failed SMART check. Disk management also shows it as healthy .before i got the smart errors my computer was acting really really slugish, taking over a hour to load steam from the problem drive. is there anyway to repair or fix it besides just replacing the drive.

Solution
chkdsk only checks the Windows filing system and marks bad sectors as unusable.
Disk Management's idea of a "healthy drive" is limited & should not be taken to mean there's nothing wrong with it.

SMART & SeaTools on the other hand actually monitor & test the physical health of the drive and the data platters.

There is no fix for a failing hard drive. You should backup your data & replace it as soon as possible.
chkdsk only checks the Windows filing system and marks bad sectors as unusable.
Disk Management's idea of a "healthy drive" is limited & should not be taken to mean there's nothing wrong with it.

SMART & SeaTools on the other hand actually monitor & test the physical health of the drive and the data platters.

There is no fix for a failing hard drive. You should backup your data & replace it as soon as possible.

Solution