Mechanical gaming keyboard

tna135

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
hello my mom told me she will get me some pc gaming gear this year for my birthday. im getting the razer charcarias i dont know how to spell that lol, either the razer deathadder, razer abyss, or logitech g500. but im looking for a good mechanical keyboard for fps gaming. i heard cherry red switehches were good for gaming and then i heard the blues were good. i dont know i need help lol. i was looking at the razer blackwidow or the cm storm mechanical keyboard. so if anybody has any answers for a good gaming mechanical keyboard just let me know. thanks and have a good day :)

tna135

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
yea it is prety noisy lol. hopefully it does not drive my family nuts at 3:00am when im gaming. lol otherwise ill just get the stealth version. even though i do love that loud clicking noise

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Bought the BlackWidow Ultimate a few weeks ago and loving it!! Love the whole drivers/profiles in a cloud account using the Synapse software....

As mentioned above, noisy as hell...

GF: "if i am every pregnant, I will punch you in the face because of that damn keyboard"

Coming from the most none-violent person I have ever met lol, so ya... gets pretty annoying after a while

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

lol, ya my gf is pregnant with our second, we were at the computer store yesterday pricing out a media PC build and I walk up to a mechanical keyboard on display "so, how would you like me to get one of these?" (while im typing away on the keyboard), she responds "If you ever got one of those keyboards i would kill you".

i mean if anyone is on the receiving end for noise of a mechanical keyboard it does get annoying, even for me. especially when you can type really fast.

kjoz

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

lol that's awesome :)! Grats on the second

I usually put headphones in and start typing really fast on this thing, I slowly turn around and see here give me the look of death!

sorry mate you need to start pressing multiple keys then come back and tell me its great.
the balck widow sufferes terrible key roll over issues where you can press up to 6 at a time if your using the wasd,crtl,shift and arrow keys. but the rest of the keyboard varys from 3 simultaneous key presses up to 6 so if like some fps players you move off the wasd keys the keyboard becomes usless for fps gaming.
the keyboard looks pretty and has some nice programmable features but for basic use as a keyboard its the worst choice you could have made.

there are so many mechanical keyboards out there that do the basic function of registering keys so much better. in fact i would put razor rite at the bottom of the list as far as mechanical gaming keyboards go and would take a sidewinder x4 over it any day of the week.

if you want good functionality then look elsewhere. razor have become known for poor quality high bling periferals that you should stay well clear of...

look up coolermaster
corsair
das
steelseries
q-pad
in fact any mechanical keyboard maker and you will find they offer more basic functionality than razer.
a keyboard is primarily for typing and typing without errors you buy razor you will loose half your inputs if you just wanted to touch type and that means its not fit for the purpose its sold for.
please do the multi key test then send it back and get a refund so you can buy a propper gaming keyboard not a pretender.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

lol, thanks guys, if this one is like the first we will be ok, sleeping through the night since 2 weeks old, we got it good.

my view on mechanical keyboards I would get one for sure if i was on my own, i like the feel of them. I always wanted the das keyboard that does not have anything on the keys.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I'm using a Lycosa with an Abyssus (got both for $50, brand new) and I love both. But a mechanical keyboard lasts longer but makes a loud clicking noise. Hense, why I don't go with mechanical keyboards because it feels a bit different. Instead, I prefer to spend money on a keyboard such as the Lycosa but don't go with the Abyssus, go for the Deathadder instead. Try out that and a G500 to see what fits your hand even better. If you need something for MMO's then an MMO mouse or a Nostromo would do you just fine depending on the size of your hands.

I'm a PC gamer and I don't go by with one company. Instead, I go with multiple companies with multiple gear for different playing styles and genres of video games. Why? Because I love FPS but I also love my MOBA, MMO, RPG, Racing, and just plain action and stealth games. If your going to do FPS 90% of the time then you should choose your weapons carefully. And remember, weapons don't make you better. It improves your skills, it's your weapon for your hands to hold to do better.

I don't listen to people who say Razer sucks or anything. Razer has good weapons for my hands, and it fits me. So does Logitech, Rocketfish, Cooler Master, and Corsair. But I love my Razer and Logitech gear. Razer mouses actually fits my hands more than Logitech, believe it or not, so I go with Razer when the mouse is good and at a good price. It's your weapon, they have tons of it. Don't go for the hype, do what I do. Go for what feels right in your hands and what you enjoy about that weapon. Happy gaming man. =3

tna135

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
yea today i bought the g500 from bestbuy and they had razer,logitech, and plethera of mouses there. i tried them out since they had some displays along with some keyboards. out of 10 mouses the g500 was the best for me and fits my hand just well and i do good with my fps games. and keyboard wise the blackwidow was my choice as well. but i dont have the money :p. so i have to wait till my birthday sadly :(. but otherwise thnaks for replying guys. :)

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Anytime! =D See? You went with a mouse that fits your hand nicely. And hope your birthday isn't to far off like mine is, mine is in the summer time so I decided to celeberate my half birthday to get an Angry Birds cake. Sadly, they don't have that anymore so I went with Tron Legacy. And what did my parents get me? DOA The Movie, Tron Legacy Sam Flynn's Light Cycle USB Drive, and Tron Evolution. I Troned out. Lol. But maybe you should do that and see if you can get some more gaming gear that will improve your skills even future. Or even a nice pair of headphones. =)

s0b3

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
Hello, and congratulations to all the babies! My boy is almost 10 months, and he already is obsessed with attacking every computer in the house! He mashes keybaords and likes to wear my Steelseries Sibera V2's lol.

After reading all your guys comments on GF's and or wives giving you the death look.... its like a revelation to me now. "How I saved myself from wasting $130 on a mechanical keyboard!" My wife is a gamer (xbox, still better than nothing) and even when I was playing Tribes Ascend for a while she would give me the death look for how many times I click the mouse compared to other games. I imagine a mechanical keyboard might disappear while I was at work, or go up for sale pretty quick on bookoo. Guess I might as well just get the nostromo, cause it feels pretty comfy at the store.

Interesting, im waiting for my Corsair K90 to arrive (i checked all mechanical switches and i decided that the K90 was for me).

I Tested the Blackwidow but it felt too weak (i need tank keyboards when i play starcraft broodwar, 400+ pulsations perminute are normally killer for normal keyboards)