[SOLVED] Mechanical hard drive and M.2 read and write issue ( help requested)

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Hello, I'm creating this form post today because I have encountered a complexing issue with my computer system. Additionally, the problem is with my systems mechanical hard drives and its transferring and reading speeds or read/write speeds. I have a total of six mechanical hard drives in my system and they were all various speeds, however, the one common factor they do share is that there all 6 Gb/s. Moreover, these mechanical hard drives or for gaming and/or storage, so I do not use these drives for my main operating system. Furthermore, the drive that I use for my main operating system is a M.2, which is a Samsung Evo 850. The issue is my transfer speeds are not being utilized as intended. For example, when I transfer a file let's say a video file from the 850 Evo to one of my mechanical drives my transfer rates start off at about 550 Mb/s and dropped to 5 to 9 Mb/s. Interestingly enough however, when I am transferring a file and it drops to these amounts and then I go and transfer another file either to the same hard drive or to another hard drive from the Evo 850 my transfer rate increases briefly to 1 Gb/s. Thusly, while the second file is being transferred there will be fluctuation in transferring rates, which is to be expected, however, while I'm transferring the second file at the same time as the first file, my speeds will fluctuate from 5 Mb/s to over 1 Gb/s. Additionally,if I'm only transferring one file at a time I never see transfer rates above 80 Mb/s. Furthermore, when I transfer a file from the hard drive back to the 850 Evo does it's a quick that there is no transfer rate even being presented.nevertheless, my transfer from mechanical hard drive to mechanical hard drive I get a transfer rate between 3 to 6 Gb/s. I realize that there is a bottleneck somewhere I'm not exactly sure where the bottleneck would be located.moreover, I have checked the computer for viruses and the like, and nothing is sticking out as far as red flags. Additionally, check my network for weak points and have found none. Furthermore, this problem persisted on my older motherboard as well which was a as rock X299 killer SLI/AC. I'm doubtful that it is the motherboard, I'm leaning more toward the hard drives themselves or maybe the front side bus. additionally, I will tell you that the GPU is installed in the second 16 express slot instead of first, and this is because of clearance issues with the air cooler.nevertheless, this issue has presented itself basically from day one, however, the problem has gotten worse over the past two months, and yes this was an issue before I delidded the CPU.additionally, my CPU temperatures at hundred percent utilization is around 74°C and it idle my temperature for the CPU is 23 or 24°C after warming up. also, my CPU is rated at 2.8 GHz after the delid I achieve 4.6 GHz boost. And yes these are automatic clocks nothing manually set. before the delidding process my temperatures at 100% yield was 85 to 96 degrees Celsius And my clock speeds at max was 3.6 GHz a second. Also,I will provide my system specifications below and the dates of purchaseof all major components.lastly,I have tried to be as thorough as possible explaining the situation and my system build, I'll try to provide any more information if I can. In addition I've captured to screen images to show the difference in transfer rate.
42yJXyA.jpg
Tn3KMht.jpg

Motherboard X299 asus addition 30 ( date 12/21/2019
CPU Intel 7960 X (delidded) ( date 4/5/2017)
memory 64 Gb DDR 4 crucial ballistic sport 2400 MHz ( date 9/18/2014)
graphics processing unit aorus 2080ti xtreme waterforce wb ( Date 11/28/2019)
CPU cooler noctua d15
optical drive LG WH16NS40 ( flashed to accommodate 4K ripping support)

deliding cpu Materials used.

crc 18411 Urethane seal coat coating clear ( used this instead of nail polish )

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal

JB Weld 31314 High Temperature rtv Silicone gasket maker and sealant

Noctura Nt - H1 Pro Grade Thermal Compound

Rockit 99 Delid & Relid Lga 2066

Gpu Cooling

Alpha cool D5 vpp655 (Non Pwm)

Radiator Koolance 140 MM 30 Fpi

Fans 2, 140 mm Noctura Nf-a14 ippc-3000 Pwm ( for Radiator Push/pull )

compression Fittings koolance 6mm/10mm.

Fluid Koolance LIQ-702Bu-B

Case

cases fans 6 120 mm Noctura Nf-a12 ippc-3000 Pwm

Hdd's
Western digital Green 4Tb WB40EZRX (rpm Unknown ) ( Date 01/20/2015 ) ( Storage )
Western Digital Black 4Tb WD4001FAEX ( 7200 RPM) ( Date 01/12/2013 ) ( Storage )
Western Digital Green 3 Tb WD30EZRX (rpm Unknown ) ( Date 03/23/2013 ) ( Storage )
Seagate 4 Tb 5900 Rpm ( Model st4000dm000) (Date 11/2013) ( Storage )
Seagate 8 Tb 5900 Rpm ( Model st8000as0002) (Date 7/2015) ( Storage )
Toshiba 5Tb (7200 RPM ) (Date Unkown Bought Around 2012 to 2013) ( game drive )

psu

Evga Super Nova 1300 Watt Gold (date 3/24/2014)

Solution
However, I do think it is something causing the transfer speeds to be subpar at best. Additionally, when these hard drives are in another system that I have.
Wait.
Are you moving windows drive from x99 based pc to x299 based pc?
That could very well be your issue right there. Conflicting drivers from different systems causing sub-par performance.

It is highly recommended to reinstall windows, if you move OS drive between computers, to avoid driver compatibility issues.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Thats the interesting
Bunch of old and slow mechanical drives.
Only one with decent performance numbers there is WD black.

If you're encoding videos and copying data simultaneously on/to the same drive, you'll get lower copy speeds.
that's the interesting part, I know more stress equals slower speeds or it should, However, this is when I achieve the faster speeds, which is why it is confusing. I have considered the age of the hhd's and the fact they are 5900 rpm for the most part. I was wondering if there were any settings that could be adjusted to fix this issue on the motherboard side if any at all. I know the hhd's have to spool up. So I'm curious if thats the issue, considering after they are spinning I get the faster speeds. any ideas would be helpful.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
1. Wall of Text

2. Transferring from SSD to HDD, you get the speed of the slowest. The short term initial speed you see is jsut the cache space on the HDD. Once that is full, any transfer can only happen at HDD speed.
thank you for your response, and yes I understand that the weakest point in the system is going to be the slowest device.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Given the drives you have, there is nothing to "fix".
They are what they are.
Also, I'm not sure if this will help, but when the cpu load jumps up to say 25 to 40 percent load I 've noticed a spike in transfer speeds. when the 1 Gb/s was achived the cpu load was at 25 percent, and at 8 Mb/s the cpu load was around 6 percent. I wonder if this could be a reflection on multi-core/multi thread. I know my hhd/s are the weak point, but it makes nonsense, to have a fluctuation of that magnitude. In addition, when transferring the same file from the hard drop back to the SSD I achieve the full speed of the hard drive and the full speed of the SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Also, I'm not sure if this will help, but when the cpu load jumps up to say 25 to 40 percent load I 've noticed a spike in transfer speeds. when the 1 Gb/s was achived the cpu load was at 25 percent, and at 8 Mb/s the cpu load was around 6 percent. I wonder if this could be a reflection on multi-core/multi thread.
Has nothing to do with the RAM, CPU, or anything else.

It is strictly that collection of mediocre hard drives.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Has nothing to do with the RAM, CPU, or anything else.

It is strictly that collection of mediocre hard drives.
Sir, thank you for your response, and I respect your opinion. However, I do think it is something causing the transfer speeds to be subpar at best. Additionally, when these hard drives are in another system that I have.

Which is a X99 5930 K, 16 gigs of RAM, I have the full transfer rate utilization of the entire system and yes that is with transferring the same SSD as well.moreover, if I would've thought that the issue was the hard drives, I wouldn't of created this form post. So respectfully, sir, any ideas that may cause this issue besides hard drives, I'm all ears, no matter how crazy it may sound.

However, I do think it is something causing the transfer speeds to be subpar at best. Additionally, when these hard drives are in another system that I have.
Wait.
That could very well be your issue right there. Conflicting drivers from different systems causing sub-par performance.

It is highly recommended to reinstall windows, if you move OS drive between computers, to avoid driver compatibility issues.

Solution

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Wait.

I done this to test the drives and the SSD, Moreover, I also, wanted to rule out a faulty motherboard. I've also have check the SSD for corrosion, and it looks okay Meaning no corrosion, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't exist, from what I can tell but it doesn't look great in my opinion ( 850 eveo ).

I've also have tested the hhd's with another m.2 and it's a Wd black nmve 250Gb, cloned the O.S no issue going from ssd to hhd. hhd to hhd suffers but thats to be expected. and when I preformed the test I backed up both windows 10 OS from x299 and x99 and installed a clean O.S for testing on the WD Black M.2. in the x99 system. I'm trying to think of anything else. I might take a look at the intel rapeid technology.

What made me notice the issue was due to the fact I was backing up some of my media, because I'm moving and in case it gets lost I would need a back up. and 3 months ago the rate was 150 to 250 Mb/s on average from SSd to any of the 6 hhd's and now the average is 15 Mb/s.if it was the HHd's you would think it would have the same speeds or something close transferring both ways. this is not the case from hhd to SSd I'm getting 3 Gb/s to 6 Gb/s and from hhd to hhd depending on which one it is, 6 Mb/s to 2.5 Gb/s. strangely enough the worse hhd in my system is the 4 Tb Wd Black Drive which is the drive I got the 6 Mb/s. and the best Preforming is the 4 Tb Wd Green which was 4.5 Gb/s. anything else, let see. oh yeah when the hhd's aren't in use they are stored out side the system . This reduces power usage, they are accessed via hot swaps. Typing all of this up I'm thinking the real problem is the samsung 850 evo. I keep them defragged. also, is there a way I can test the ssd considering it can't be defragged. Meaning is there a torture test just for for ssd's. and thank you for your response, sir.

HaizRail007

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2015
Wait.

Okay, the problem is fixed, With your recommendation, SkyNetRising
, that got me to thinking it could actually be a problem with windows 10, I really hate windows 10 nothing but bloatware. anyhow I ran a file check on the O.S and low and behold there were multiple operating system files that were corrupted. Moreover, I was able to trace the corruption back to the last windows update. Don't get me wrong windows 10 has introduced some good features, but I do miss the days of windows 7, and of course the metro based gui for windows 8 was a nightmare. I thank for your suggestion that led to the answer.