Looking to buy a mechanical keyboard next week. Currently looking at the Coolermaster SK630 TKL version. however wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I do prefer linear switches not married to any brand or even linear switches but I would like a TKL layout. Been looking for a while but there doesn't seem to be that many models about. A lot of keyboards all seem to have US layouts so the enter key is weird.

Also I've really been liking typing on my MacBook Air recently so I dunno if I should be considering lower profile scissor switch keyboards like the Surface Keyboard or even the magic keyboard as you can use it on Windows. Even though the surface keyboard does have a US layout.

SK630 seems to be my compromise atm. It's low profile and TKL but it doesn't have dedicated media controls.

Just looking for suggestions cheers!

Solution
Sorry for late response. Have a K63 wireless myself on HTPC, types well enough with good lighting for single color. Heavy though for a keyboard due to battery size and wireless. Which key type are you leaning towards? I have several mech. keyboards I use and have used over the past few years. Blackwidow Ultimate, Ducky Shine 3, DasKeyboard 4, K63 Wireless, WASD V2..an addiction I think. :) Used MX Blues, Browns, Reds, and Blacks. Avoid the MX Blue if you want quiet. Heard good things in reviews of Cooler Master model.
What all features are you looking for besides TKL? Budget as well?
Budget is anything up to like £150 would prefer less though. Ideally quiet switches because my girlfriend would kill me if I got blues or razers greens I think? Though I could just swap to my spare membrane I used with my old laptop. Dedicated media keys, backlit (not cared about RGB) are good positives, could live without USB passthrough and I'm not fussed over wired vs wireless.

I'm looking the SK630 due to the low profile keys an minimalist design, the corsair K63 in blue is decent but for £30 more than the K63 I could get the BlackWidow elite which has a dial and I have a think for dials.

Sorry for late response. Have a K63 wireless myself on HTPC, types well enough with good lighting for single color. Heavy though for a keyboard due to battery size and wireless. Which key type are you leaning towards? I have several mech. keyboards I use and have used over the past few years. Blackwidow Ultimate, Ducky Shine 3, DasKeyboard 4, K63 Wireless, WASD V2..an addiction I think. :) Used MX Blues, Browns, Reds, and Blacks. Avoid the MX Blue if you want quiet. Heard good things in reviews of Cooler Master model.

Solution

Leaning towards linear because I'm in shared accommodation atm and my girlfriend would kill me if I used blues when I'm at hers. Never really been a fan of browns cos they don't have the satisfaction of blues or the practicality of reds.

I'd like a TKL because it's neater and more portable. To be honest as much as I like media keys I might just buy a surface dial and use that because I do really like dials and I think that would be enough for me.

Should probably mention I did own a strafe for a bit with cherry reds.

Ok. Browns and blues are both tactile with the "bump" actuation. Blues are the clicky ones. Blacks seem to heavy for my liking. May work well if you are a key masher. Most gaming models still use reds to my knowledge, though there are tons of custom variants these days. Reds and blacks are the linear ones. It sounds like it will be very limited, if any, TKL with media keys/dial outside of K63 or dedicated HTPC type.

Ok. Browns and blues are both tactile with the "bump" actuation. Blues are the clicky ones. Blacks seem to heavy for my liking. May work well if you are a key masher. Most gaming models still use reds to my knowledge, though there are tons of custom variants these days. Reds and blacks are the linear ones. It sounds like it will be very limited, if any, TKL with media keys/dial outside of K63 or dedicated HTPC type.
I know the cherry lineup fairly well, I do like typing on blues, I've had a go with them, well razers clones, on a mates BlackWidow, but it's a bit dickish when there's others around I think and my GF will straight up slit my throat if they stop her sleeping. My issue with browns is they don't sound satisfying like the blues, they're still loud compared to reds but just don't feel great.

Honestly I'm probably just going to buy a surface dial and set it to be a media control dial just because I like dials so I don't need to worry about a keyboard with the keys.

TRENDING THREADS