Mechanical Keyboard switch BRANDS (and recommendations)

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi,

I have been looking at mechanical keyboards recently and I decided I want to buy my first one. I want to know the difference between the switch brands:

• Cherry MX
    Kailh
    Romer G
    Razer switches
    Ducky switches
The reason I am asking is because i wanted the Corsair K70 (non-rgb) browns. I was looking at amazon during the week of Black Friday and it was CAD$108. I waited until Friday thinking the price would drop even further but it went up instead so I didn't buy it. I came across the Azio MGK-1 which looks very similar to the k70 but they use Kailh switches. Is there a difference? I am guessing MX is better because they are the most popular.

If anyone has recommendations besides the k70, I would love to hear them.

I need:

• Budget: CAD$150 (but obv less would be better)
    Full Keyboard with tactile/non-clicky browns (with numpad), I would say I do 50/50 game and office work.
    Nothing too "gamey-looking", just a normal, professional-looking keyboard (think das but less expensive)

Nice to have:

• USB passthrough (I bought a new mouse but the cord is just a bit too short. It's usable but the cord has to pass in front of me)

Not neccesary:

• Macro keys on the left
    RGB/LED

Solution
There are some great tenkeyless keyboards that fit your description. If you can sacrifice the numpad, the Das Keyboard 4C Professional (Greetech Brown) is $143 (last I checked), and I dug the Nixeus Moda v.2 (Kailh Brown), and that's under $80.

Hopefully I'm not starting a flame war here, but as far as switch types go, don't sweat Cherry/Kailh. You'll never notice a difference between them. (There's a lot of FUD about Kailh. I've never seen anyone substantiate those claims with testing, and I certainly can't tell a difference between them anecdotally.)

Razer switches are super clicky, a lot like Cherry/Kailh Blues. You probably don't want that in an office environment.

Romer-G switches are really different, though. Very quiet...

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
There are some great tenkeyless keyboards that fit your description. If you can sacrifice the numpad, the Das Keyboard 4C Professional (Greetech Brown) is $143 (last I checked), and I dug the Nixeus Moda v.2 (Kailh Brown), and that's under $80.

Hopefully I'm not starting a flame war here, but as far as switch types go, don't sweat Cherry/Kailh. You'll never notice a difference between them. (There's a lot of FUD about Kailh. I've never seen anyone substantiate those claims with testing, and I certainly can't tell a difference between them anecdotally.)

Razer switches are super clicky, a lot like Cherry/Kailh Blues. You probably don't want that in an office environment.

Romer-G switches are really different, though. Very quiet action (although the springs are a little loud IMHO), kind of a soft feel. I just wrote this up for today: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/logitech-g810-orion-spectrum-mechanical-keyboard,31130.html

TBH, I think you can hardly go wrong in your approach: Figure out the features you want/don't want, go from there. Which you've done. You know you want Browns, too, so you're 99% of the way there. I wouldn't stress too much about the switch MFR. :)

Solution