Question Mechanical Keyboard W key not 'holding' I hold the key and sometimes it stops and starts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan_68

Honorable
Oct 8, 2016
Hi Guys,
So I have a mechanical keyboard, its like 2 years old. My W key for some reason when I play games and I am running by holding W sometimes it jumps/stutters. So Like lets say Im holding W for 10 seconds sometimes it will stop after a few seconds for like 1ms so that instead of registering as a 10 second hold it registers as 2 smaller holds. Not sure why. All other keys work perfectly.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model keyboard?

Does the W jumping behavior occur if another known working keyboard is used on your computer?

Does the W jumping behavior occur if your keyboard is used on another known working computer?

Determine if the problem follows your keyboard or stays with the computer.

= = = =

Have you tried cleaning the keyboard and keyboard keys per the manufacturer's guidelines?

Could be that that key is worn or otherwise damaged in some fashion. Especially if used for heavy game playing.

One immediate thing you can try:

Unplug the keyboard. Spread out a cloth or paper towel. Hold the keyboard upside down over the cloth/towel and gently but firmly tap the ends and sides of the keyboard with the heel of your hand. You may knock loose all sorts of debris and perhaps free the W key.

And you most likely have the option to pop off the W key cap to independently clean that key.

Jordan_68

Honorable
Oct 8, 2016
Make and model keyboard?

Does the W jumping behavior occur if another known working keyboard is used on your computer?

Does the W jumping behavior occur if your keyboard is used on another known working computer?

Determine if the problem follows your keyboard or stays with the computer.

= = = =

Have you tried cleaning the keyboard and keyboard keys per the manufacturer's guidelines?

Could be that that key is worn or otherwise damaged in some fashion. Especially if used for heavy game playing.

One immediate thing you can try:

Unplug the keyboard. Spread out a cloth or paper towel. Hold the keyboard upside down over the cloth/towel and gently but firmly tap the ends and sides of the keyboard with the heel of your hand. You may knock loose all sorts of debris and perhaps free the W key.

And you most likely have the option to pop off the W key cap to independently clean that key.

Its a Motospeed Mechanical keyboard its a CK104 with Blue Switch (Clicky) . Its only the W key and happens whether or not any other buttons are being clicked. Happens on all computers so I think its the Switch. I feel like it could be a contact in the Switch or maybe a solder breakage.
I will try that cleaning. I did try blow air into the switch maybe there was dust but I do play games so could be that.

Status
Not open for further replies.