[SOLVED] mechanical trauma killed HDMI port in GPU card - what to do

Jun 30, 2020
ASRock Challenger 5600XT GPU accident today. HDMI cable was plugged into card and got pulled very hard sideways before shearing out. Now, HDMI cable won't replug into the port and on magnified inspection of the port, you can see the inner plastic tongue broke and a couple of wires pulled away from the tongue and seem to be touching the grounding shield. Seems to be toast, and there's no damage to the HDMI cable.

All is not lost. What's the best move?

Note: we only have an HDMI ready monitor, no DisplayPort monitor on hand or available. The 5600XT has three empty display port connectors.

Here are the options and what I'm thinking about them. Would appreciate feedback.

1 - Spend a few hundred dollars and buy a DisplayPort monitor. Assume no upstream damage to the GPU innards or to the DisplayPorts from the HDMI wires being grounded (is this a reasonable assumption? I don't have any DisplayPort monitors to test out this theory before buying one). One advantage here is the GPU is currently able to pump more frames than either an HDMI cable or our 75Hz monitor can absorb, so upgrading the monitor will improve performance in theory.

2 - Stick with the current HDMI monitor, but use a DisplayPort output with a DisplayPort to HDMI translator, assuming such things exist. Save a few bucks . . . probably at the cost of speed?

3 - take apart the card and install a new HDMI port. I'm very handy and have soldering and other tools, but haven't investigated the technical feasibility of doing this - I'm guessing it's low probability that it can be done

4 - get a new graphics card - last resort