'MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries' Announced At Annual MechCon Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

"Checks the date"....not April fools! Yay!

On second look my overwhelming happiness at the return of a beloved series is tempered by the "coming in 2018" part. But hey, at least it's official. The first PC I bought in 1996 came with a copy of Mechwarrrior 2 enhanced for its 2mb ATI Rage II+ graphics card. I've loved the series since. The Merc games were always the best.

wildfire707

Distinguished
Ah, a blast from the past! I still like the "Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online, systems functional." It might actually make me want a VR system (if it is compatible)...

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I'm excited to see a new Mechwarrior game and I had the same experience Anort3. My copy came with my video card (same one you had received). What I'm wondering about though if it's just me or do the graphics look a little dull? Specifically the textures and terrain?

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
hum... I remember playing the original on a crappy pc build back in the days when I had no money lol

I doubt this will be popular like today's AAA production games ! I'll pass

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Sooo...it says it's a single player title. Does that mean we're stuck with MWO for multiplayer, or do they plan on adding multiplayer to MW5?

alextheblue

Distinguished
I'm in.

*BWEEEP* Heat level critical.
Shutdown sequence initiated...
Shut down sequence overridden.

And yeah, if prices are reasonable in 2018 (they ought to be by then!) and this game supports VR, it might be the first title I'd consider VR for.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's pre alpha. Nothing is done yet so the graphics will get updated.

Since it's single player, I hope they have a good story. I like the story of Mechwarrior 2 with the Jade Falcon, Ghost Bear and Wolf clans. I look forward to seeing what mechs they have and hope they include some of the classic ones like the Timberwolf (iconic Mechwarrior), Nova and Summoner. Those were always my favorites.

Bummer that it will be 2018 before release, but at the same time, it makes me think they are going to take the time to get it done right and not release a buggy P.O.S. and needs 20gb of patches on day 1.

D

Deleted member 217926

You know this might just be a game I'd buy a VR set for. Seems like VR could make this amazing.

This was one of the few games that utilized old force-feedback controllers well. Got MW3 in a bundle with the SideiWinder FF joystick. Granted, my first outing with MW was on the C64. The MW2: Mercs game was basically a remake of that first game.

darkguy2

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2013
I am going to hold my excitement for this for now. The studio who made this one also was responsible for the terrible MechWarrior Online. Hopefully they also upgrade the textures before they launch. Seems similar to MWO ones.

humorific

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
I hope they include a soundtrack. MW2 had one of the all time great music cuts. Used to let it play in the background even when I wasn't playing

old_newbie

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Remember playing the original MW on my 386 with EGA graphics. I definitely appreciate the dev's love letter to fans of the series and their dedication to the PC master race.
Unfortunately I dont think nostalgia alone will be enough for this to get the success it deserves. This REALLY needs to go high end VR (Vive, Rift, etc.) compatible to break it out (and away) as a simulator, from the overly saturated market of FPS shooters.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
It looks like PGI are re-using their models from MWO for the new single-player game - which is a wonderful thing. Seriously, go back and compare the models from older games to the new PGI models. Their artists have done an *amazing* job on all the mechs.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
"This is HQ to any available units. We have 'mechs down at Nav Gamma. Bravo Cadet reports four Summoners on-site. Bandits are hostile. Repeat, bandits are hostile."

Alpha Assault, this is HQ. What is your situation?

melvis72

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Not to be a Battetech nerd but if it's 150 years into the Third Succession War that would be 3016 which would make the Shadow Hawk 466 years old since it first went into production and it's 8 years before the Raven went into production. I guess since it's a Pre-Alpha just for the sake of an announcement it will all be taken care of by then.

I sure hope they don't screw this game up, MWO was ok and it did prove there was still interest in Battletech PC games but it wasn't the MechWarrior game that most wanted. Like most I'm happy to see single player and hope there is co-op for the missions.

Chris_342

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
This would be a natural game for VR. Create a remote task force of mech pilots. It would be like Ender's Game.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador

Nerd away! I'm glad they decided to showcase a 'Mech that used to languish under the "Unseen" tag. We need more of the "AC5/Medium Laser Cartel" 'Mechs to play with.

I watched the trailer without sound, so I didn't catch them naming the 'Mech...but I started wondering last night if it was a Shadow Hawk or not (I originally thought maybe a Hunchback, but the profile just wasn't right...& that Raven took way too many AC shots for that cannon to be an AC/20). Not too surprising, though, for it to show up, as the old Technical Readout: 3025 (& its newer replacement, Technical Readout 3039) still lists the Shadow Hawk as being built by the Free Worlds League & Magistracy of Canopus.

Good catch on the Raven, BTW...although a) it was a gameplay trailer, so they might have just wanted to showcase it, & b) although the RVN-1X model didn't come out until 3024, that still lets it show up for 3SW (running from 2866 to 3025).

In any case, I really hope they bring back an equipment allocation system that really mirrors the tabletop RPG & matches the Total Warfare rulebook. The whole "Omni slots" system they had worked for MechCommander 1 & 2 (since they were RTS games where you commanded multiple lances of 'Mechs), but while the story & graphics were great in MW4 I didn't like the use of that "slot" system: if I wanted to build a pure missile-boat Atlas, or built a laser-boat Summoner, then by Kerensky & Calderon let me do it! Don't make me have to fill slots with ballistic weapons (especially MGs..or as I see them, "ammo explosions waiting to happen") or other equipment I'm not going to use. That was one of the things I loved about MW2: if you had your own custom Clan Omni configuration from the tabletop, then you could recreate it exactly as-is in MW2.

As for multiplayer...as long as you can do LAN games, I (along with my brother-in-law & my 2 nephews) will be more than happy to pony up cash for it.

I love the nerding, even if I'm only a casual Battletech fan. And I agree. Just give me MW2: Mercs in a shiny new package with modern controller support and a good story with new mission types and I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.