ultramo

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Building a new system and wanted to know if WMC is based on Pro or home edition. I figure if it based on Pro then it makes more sense to buy MDC to run my system.

Any thoughts?

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I'm tryin out Windows Media Center right now, and to be honest, I'm getting a little fed up with it.

Getting alot of unresponsive programs, and some severe lag when browsing through my drives.

Dunno, could be a bad install, could be some rank bugs, but I'm getting very close to going back to Pro if I continue to find little bugs everywhere.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
If you don't need domain registration, I'd take Media Center. I haven't experienced any of the problems CHEEZball has.

I agree. Just make sure your TV card (if you're using one) is MCE compatible (needs hardware mpeg-2 decoder), and your graphics card needs to be X300/9600 or greater (ATI) or 5200 or greater (Nvidia).

Edit: If you do need to join a domain, I believe you can set this up during your initial install. If you allow this, you won't be able to use a MCE Extender box as they require "fast switching" which is why domains are turned off by default. Not really relevant unless you have a NT or 2000 Pro system on your network.