Media Center PC from Best Buy

Has anyone purchased a computer from Best Buy and had problems registering
with gateway?
I just purchased an 820GM and it says to register at Gateway but that model
is not listed. So far I have spent 5 hours on the phone with gateway
customer service, tech support, emachine, best buy, and still not resolved.
It is like this machine doesn't exist. I am now in a chat for 30+ minutes
and still not resolved.
Thanks

Chalk it up to a new business model (this one appears to be narrowing
Gateway's losses for real).

Keep trying - call customer service - Gateway recently outsourced the rest
of its production and integrated eMachines - no doubt the IS people are busy
getting the backend systems to connect to each other.

"Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone purchased a computer from Best Buy and had problems registering
> with gateway?
> I just purchased an 820GM and it says to register at Gateway but that
> model is not listed. So far I have spent 5 hours on the phone with
> gateway customer service, tech support, emachine, best buy, and still not
> resolved. It is like this machine doesn't exist. I am now in a chat for
> 30+ minutes and still not resolved.
> Thanks

Pam, I purchased a Gateway 550GR from Best Buy back in early September.
They had only been out in the stores for a couple of weeks and when I went
to register the computer my model didn't show up either. I waited a week
and tried again and sure enough, it was finally listed. They probably
haven't added it to their website yet because it's still very new and their
tech support is probably clueless as well. BTW, this is my first Gateway
and I'm very happy with it, it's sooooo fast!!!

"Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone purchased a computer from Best Buy and had problems registering
> with gateway?
> I just purchased an 820GM and it says to register at Gateway but that
> model is not listed. So far I have spent 5 hours on the phone with
> gateway customer service, tech support, emachine, best buy, and still not
> resolved. It is like this machine doesn't exist. I am now in a chat for
> 30+ minutes and still not resolved.
> Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I had decided yesterday to return the computer as
it took over 8 hours and at least an hour of long distance calls to get
anyone who knew anything. The number on the box (toll) took 3 tries to get
someone to answer. He did register but was vague about how I find out about
my system.. He said he had it and I asked how I get it and he said from
them. I don't want to call in the future if I just want to check for issues
or updated drivers etc. The number he gave me was for EMachine support and
I called to check and sure enough got the same guy back again after going
thru 2 menu options. I chose Customer support rather than tech support and
was then routed to Gateway TECH support. All this while I pay for a call.
Today I am thinking I will keep it in light of the responses. I do feel tho
that someone is deceptive and will make sure before the 14 days is up at
Best Buy, it will be on the website. I have had Gateway computers for years
(starting with a 486-33) and have never had to pay for support. I think
people should be aware that to get support, the number is long distance if
you don't buy from Gateway direct, and the hours are limited.
Thanks again for input.