Media center software

ubermoose

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I am planning a new PC and ill be useing a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T PCI Freeview TV Tuner.

Only problem is, the software that comes with it doesnt look too good from what ive seen on their website. And ill be using vista business so no media center.

Is there any third party windows media center type software that will work with it? Or any way to get media center on vista business? Bear in mind i dont plan on recording anything, just watching tv.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I use iMedian from soundgraph for my primary HTPC, it does most of what I want. For my non TV tuner equiped HTPC's I have tried Nero Home (absolutely terrible), sagetv, xlobby (very flexible but it's going to cost soon), and some others. I personally love Mediate, it's free and is VERY fast. Do a search for Mediate HTPC and you'll get it.

burntham77

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Snapstream makes some good PVR/Media Center type software. Beyond Media is a nice program for organizing and viewing files you already have. Beyond TV is a superb program for recording and watching TV, much like a TiVo, except there is no subscription fee. You just need a connection to the net on that PC to download show lineup updates.