Media PC setup

Dracio

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Hi, I broke the screen of my old laptop so I've gotten a new one and decided to use the old one as a media center for my TV.

However I can't decide what operating system to use for it. I don't want to rely at all on keyboard or mouse (they will be there but don't want to use them for ANYTHING), so ideally a media specific OS would be preferred, such as media portal, or xbmc.
Secondly, it has to be able to support a netflix app/plugin and a tvcatchup app/plugin, again for use with controller.
I would also really want it to be able to support spotify, although a controller controlled version of spotify I have yet to see.
Last but not least, ideally (although optionally) it would be able to support bluray playback.

Anyone any ideas for OS/software to use for this? Please include costs if anything is paid for, although I would like it all to be free/open source.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Our Media Center is Windows 7 Pro - but when it starts up it has XMBC Theater Software setup.

The reason is I can get Netflix and Hulu to play reliably on a Windows Based machine, on a Straight XMBC server i still have some issues so I prefer Windows for the time being. I tried Linux Mint for a while, but I could tell a slowness to it and didn't want my family to have to deal with it.

I think there is a HTPC Specific thread on here that might be better for this type of question.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
This is a great use of an old laptop, and XBMCBuntu would work perfectly. I run Ubuntu with XBMC as an app on my media PC, but I use a wireless mouse in order to access the web through Chromium for streaming video. XBMCBuntu installs Ubuntu as the underlying OS but boots you straight into XBMC.