alexbruce

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Hi,

wonder if someone can help me?, networking is by no means my strong point and the basics escape me quite often...

I'll explain the situation.. I have two PC's (one main and one media for the living room) and one laptop, I have just built a new system out of old parts lying around to act as a networked media server to share videos/music/pics etc between the above mentioned systems, the media is running W7, the main and laptop vista and the server XP pro...

now here's my problem I can share files from the server and view them etc on any of the pc's but how do i set up a password so that they can't just be accessed all the time?

I want to password protect them so when someone tries to access the folder they are stored in they are prompted for a password first....

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Alex.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Right click on the folder you want to share and click on 'Share'.
After that you can select which user account can access the folder. There are two tabs above that you have to do this on and remember to delete the 'everyone' account you see there after you choose an account.

At the other computers, if the user IS logged into the computer and is trying to access the shared folder, they will not be prompted for a password.
If any other user is logged into the computer and they try to access the shared folder, tehy will be prompted for a username and password.

TRENDING THREADS