Media test failed,check cable

ra83jat

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi
My laptop shows the following message when I turn it on-
Realtek PCIe FE Family controller Series v1.19(08/10/09)
PXE-EGI-Media test failure,check cable
PXE-MOF-Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

I am using a Dell Inspiron N5010 with windows 7 OS.

Thanks in advance.

herboren

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
F2, Del, F10, F12. The moment you turn your computer on you can repeatedly hit Tab to show the post screen and find out what key boots to BIOS. If not check Manufacturer manual to find out how.

ra83jat

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi All,
I could enter my bios .
The boot priority is given as under -
1 st boot priority diskette drive
2 st boot priority Hard drive
3 st boot priority USB Storage device
4 st boot priority CD/DVD/CD-rw drive
5 st boot priority eSATA
6 st boot priority Network

bruce T

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

Hello,

Did you fix your computer?
I have the same exact problem on my Dell N5010.

Thanks.

ra83jat

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Hi,
First thing u need to do is go to the setup and check whether your laptop is reading the hard disk or not .If your laptop is not reading the hard disk then that means your hard drive has crashed .You can also do another thing you can go to dell diagnostics present in your laptop .Run a complete scan and see the error code, if its 1048 then that is a confirmation of a hard drive crash.

If it is proved by the above two steps that your hard drive has crashed u need to replece it with a new one.

Regards,
Rajat.

Legbiter

Reputable
Feb 14, 2014

SOLVED: Changed Boot sequence to Hard Drive as primary boot option. No more issues.

Never delved into the Bios before?
For most PCs this is not difficult: As soon as you have pressed the power on button start tapping the F2 key, this will divert you to the Bios Set Up screen before the Windows start sequence begins. Once in Bios Set Up select the Boot Sequence tab, normally accessed using Left/Right Arrow keys.
Once there check whether Hard Drive is on Top of the Boot List (if it is already then sorry but this isn't going to work for you).

The method for changing the Boot Sequence varies depending upon model and manufacturer but there will be clues given at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes it's arrow keys, sometimes +/- keys. Sometimes you can just move Hard Drive to the top, (sometimes you end up having to move everything else down, one by one).

If it seems wrong, you get spooked, or just aren't too sure just "Exit Without Saving" and Bios will pretend you were never ever in there.

NOTE: It Always pays to note what changes you make (ie what they were originally).

Yogesh Aher

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Hi I am not able to enter the BIOS. I am using Lenovo laptop and when I am pressing F1,F2,DEL or F12 keys then it gives beep sounds and then displays "Error:no such partition."
grub rescue>

lavanyarun

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014