Media wont play on new computer

Alan Moemeni

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
When i turn on my computer it takes 10-20 min for the video/sounds to kick in. Before this it wont play any videos or music.

About 3 weeks ago my PC stopped working. The VGA_LED light was red on my ASUS P8Z68-V. So i figured out that i had to upgrade some parts. I bought a new PSU, motherboard and a new graphics card.
Today when i was finally done setting up my new gaming pc, I got a new problem. Videos and music wont play. YouTube/Spotify/popcorntime, you name it, wont play.

It is worth mentioning that before my computer stopped working the first time, it started to have the same problems.

My new rig:
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Elite 1600Mhz 8GB
Intel® Core i5-2500K Processor
Western Digital Caviar® Green 2TB
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB 2.5"
Corsair RM850, 850W PSU
MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4GB GDDR5
ASUS P8Z77-V LX, S-1155

Solution
Windows gives you a free "microsoft security essentials". It is painless. Install it only from microsoft website.

If you suspect malware vs. just a pile of old partially un-installed software then download free bootable norten anti-virus from a different computer and boot it. norten is so chatty i can't stand it for my pc, but it does a great job.

If you do a backup of select files and do a windows re-install then get the anti-virus going before you restore the files you backed up. just in case one of the files you backed up is infected.
Likely a software, not a hardware problem. What operating system are you using? Anti-virus? Anti-malware?

When you rebuilt your PC did you just re-use the copy of windows on your disk drive or did you do a fresh install? (There is no need for a fresh install based on your hardware changes, but if you did not do a fresh install and the previous problems were software then the new hardware would not fix. If you did do a fresh install than software problems are less likely).

Windows gives you a free "microsoft security essentials". It is painless. Install it only from microsoft website.

If you suspect malware vs. just a pile of old partially un-installed software then download free bootable norten anti-virus from a different computer and boot it. norten is so chatty i can't stand it for my pc, but it does a great job.

If you do a backup of select files and do a windows re-install then get the anti-virus going before you restore the files you backed up. just in case one of the files you backed up is infected.

Solution

Alan Moemeni

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Are you sure this is not caused by any hardware? I was thinking this may be a result of the graphics card. You see, sometimes I just restart the computer and it will automatically work again. Im a pc noob so just tell me if this doesnt make any sense :p

Anything's possible. If you have your old hard drive you could pull your SSD, put it aside, reinstall your old drive, do the win7 64 bit install onto the old drive. If the problem doesn't go away then you still have your SSD with your current system installed. If it does go away then you could clone your build onto the SSD.

Another thought, run dxdiag see if you find any problems. If you've installed games that used directx then you have dxdiag. Easiest way to find it is to type dxdiag in the start menu search box