[SOLVED] Mediacom fiber only getting 50% of what I paid for.

CoffeeStoreGuy

Honorable
May 7, 2017
I recently just upgraded to fiber internet with Mediacoms "1gig" package, but I've been haven't been getting anywhere near to 1gig. It will usually stay around 500 down and 60 to 70 up. I have 3 other people on the network with 6 devices, and I was wondering if it should be divvied up or not. I've also tested it by plugging my gaming pc that has a cat6 ethernet into the modem, and I still never got nowhere near 1gig I got really close to 600Mbps. Should I call them? I don't know if this is what they meant by 1gig and when I talked to the lady when upgrading she said I should see a huge increase. She also said on that call that I should be receiving 80% of what I paid for.

Solution
Most ISP you can get the full rated speed now days. They don't lie as much as they used to with the "UP TO" clause. Still they could have oversold the connection see if you get different results at different times day to see if maybe other people traffic has a effect.

Speedtesting can be tricky when you have such a high speed connection. You need to try mulitple hosting/servers on the speedtest sites. Some do not have the capacity to push data as fast as you need.

Generally this is why I always make sure I am around when internet is installed. You ask the install guy to run speedtest on his machine. He would have to explain why it did not work for him.
Most ISP you can get the full rated speed now days. They don't lie as much as they used to with the "UP TO" clause. Still they could have oversold the connection see if you get different results at different times day to see if maybe other people traffic has a effect.

Speedtesting can be tricky when you have such a high speed connection. You need to try mulitple hosting/servers on the speedtest sites. Some do not have the capacity to push data as fast as you need.

Generally this is why I always make sure I am around when internet is installed. You ask the install guy to run speedtest on his machine. He would have to explain why it did not work for him.

Solution