News MediaTek reportedly preps Arm processors for Windows laptop — will arrive as Qualcomm's exclusivity deal expires

gondor

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
The real benefit on ARM PC ecosystem (even if kickstarted with Windows on ARM) is adherence to more standardized/unified system start-up. Currently ARM ecosystem is a bit of a quagmire in this regard.

Reactions: jlake3 and bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
The real benefit on ARM PC ecosystem (even if kickstarted with Windows on ARM) is adherence to more standardized/unified system start-up. Currently ARM ecosystem is a bit of a quagmire in this regard.
Yes, but I recall reading something pretty recently that ARM standardize something about it so you no longer need to patch the kernel for each new ARM SBC or motherboard.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I'm mostly curious if MediaTek is going to do some custom designs because I believe most of their compute SoCs have been straight Arm IP.
I don't recall MediaTek ever using an in-house ARM core design. In this day and age, it would be incredibly ballsy to launch a new effort of that sort.

Not least, because Arm really does seem to be pulling out all the stops!

In the old naming scheme, it would be called the Cortex-X5. Like the X4, it has 10-wide issue but seems to have doubled the out-of-order machinery!

Reactions: thestryker