BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
This is the one I've been waiting for all year. I'm a fan of most genres in the pc gaming arena, but strategy games that are in-depth and that allow advanced tactics to be deployed are genuinely appealing to me.

Anoyone else pumped for this little baby? I've always been a fan of the entire Total War series yet this one is really going to be brilliant, I believe.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Not particularly, I'll probably buy it like I've done with every other TW game however it won't be any different from the previous games.

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
I dont know Wolfy; I reckon this one will be improved.

Sure, the formula wont stray far from the tried and true methodology for the Total War series, but its the period in history that will allow more exciting & complex aspects of gameplay to be introduced that simply were not possible with the original.

I'm wondering if they'll ever do a "Modern Total War"? :p

DIYNewb

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I am also very much looking foward to this game. Any ideas what the system requirements it will need, or whether it will be directx9 or 10?

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
Mate, I dont know about the specs but I have a 6600Gt, 3000+ athlon 64, 2 gig of good memory, plus a quick hdd and I'm hopeful that that will be enough to enjoy the game.

If not, I'll upgrade. :lol:

There's not much on the total war site except a few tasty tidbits of information.

Direct X 10, I would suspect would be its go.

Lathyl

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
I am definitely looking forward to this game :D

Also to Wolfy: They 'say' its gonna have new improved features..... and they might be telling the truth :)

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I remember back when Medieval Total War was released, it was a beast needing the best of the best that PC’s had to offer to run it. My GeForce 3 and Athlon 1700+ just could not cope. But when Rome Total War was released the difference it made to the franchise was immense. Not only where battles on a much greater and more believable scale than they ever were before, the quality of the graphics was superb. You could even zoom all the way in to see everyone’s faces, a big difference from the 2D sprites they used on the game before.

I believe you can expect the same jump in quality again, from the looks of it they have changed the problem with all the units looking the same and have again doubled the quality of graphics. I would hope though that the battles will become a lot more realistic to with non of this hitting someone with a sward only for them to stand there fighting back then drop dead 2 or 3 seconds later.

One thing is for sure though, my current PC that plays Rome Total war perfectly will struggle completely with this new iteration in the Total War franchise. So get those fingers ready on those wallets, it’s going to be a big one!

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I lost my total war rome cd1 in germany I think : /
I'll probbaly play 2 when I can crack it/get it cheaply.
Also when I have my new computer and not a laptop with no HDD space.

WRX-Rated

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I gotta be honest. I loved RTW, but the video previews I've seen do not look much different. Gameplay and graphics look the same. New units could be fun, but I'm afraid that it might be the same game. I'll probably still buy it, but I hope I'm not bored with it right away.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Graphics look the same... are you crazy, are your eyes strait 8O

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2006/193/931592_20060713_screen001.jpg

I lost my rome cd when I moved back from germany so I forget how graphics look zoomed in but I ask you this.
Is the engine the same?
I imagine some minor revisions at least.
Regardless I'm going to have to buy it and be in love/lose a week or so.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The engine has been the same since shogun total war but they have updated everyone one with new features and graphics. What makes it good is the amount of extra features and much better looking graphics. It all leads to a more immersive and realistic battle ground at the end of the day and I guess that’s what keeps me coming back for more.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
WRONG!
Rome was a new graphics engine from the others.
I don't remember if medievel was or not.
Yeah I'm sure maybe it was based upon previous/battles are similar.
But the engine was pretty much completely redone.
It has not been same graphics engine all along.

Lizardfuel72

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
WRONG!
Rome was a new graphics engine from the others.
I don't remember if medievel was or not.
Yeah I'm sure maybe it was based upon previous/battles are similar.
But the engine was pretty much completely redone.
It has not been same graphics engine all along.

True!
Rome was a totaly new engine. It's the new engine that prompted the History channel to use it for it's series. It suprises me but my Laptop actually runs Rome Better than Medieval.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
It was new in the respect that it had a new way of rendering units… But if you look back, everything else is more or less the same. The way the scenery is rendered to the way you control your units. If you remember back to Medieval Total War it was all 3D apart from the units that used 2D sprites. From the looks of it that’s all they have changed, the maps are done in near enough the same way.

Even the strategy map is the same. All they did to Rome was stick a few 3D trees about the place and made the 3D units move instead of stand still.

medieval_02.jpg

medievaltw010.jpg

>>EDIT: This forums is messed up, whats the deal with me having to post things twice before they will show?

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
...new way of rendering units…

Exactly my point.
Perhaps you aren't understanding my termonology.
Not sure if english is your first language.
The graphics engine is what renders them.
Game engine is similar and could be same but modified, I agree.
So in your terms...
Does medievel II have "a new way of rendering units" or graphics engine or does it use the rome one more or less?

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
WRONG! Rome was a new graphics engine from the others.

It’s not a new graphics engine it is simply an updated engine with bits added on, this is what I am saying. I am Scottish so yes my first language is English… I don’t know what made you think otherwise.

Basically as you can see in Medieval 2 Total War it is the same engine that has been modified to make it better E.g. allowing the units to have 3 or 4 times more polygons and more diverse movements. Again you will see they have not done much to the maps bar better quality textures and more lighting.

Look back all the way to Shogun Total War the maps are nearly identical in quality to what they are in Rome Total War a game that is practically 10 years younger.

My point was the game has only evolved in minor ways as far as the engine is concerned (the latest tweak being all the models being 3D instead of 2D) and that they seem to only be tweaking a damn good engine to get all they can out of it. Not only the cheapest way but also the best as the engine was a very good one to start with.

Amass.jpg

I don’t think they will dump this engine and start a new till they have reached perfection. Spot the difference between Rome and Medieval 2… Better textures and more quality on the maps, hopefully better interaction between units when in battles as well. But all in all it is the same game made better, not that that’s a bad thing as I am still not bored of Rome yet!!!

Ulfbersark

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
No. Rome TW's engine was created from scratch.

Saying that it's the same as shogun is like saying Quake 4's engine is an updated version of Quake 2's engine.

WRX-Rated

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
LOL - Its funny that you posted that link. Lets take a look at what is in that picture. A guy on a horse and some guys with spears. Sure the spears look alot better, there is a little more bump-mapping on the horse, and the units may look unique, but the gameplay and campaign map look exactly the same. What new elements or gameply mechanics have been added? Small graphical enhancements, unique warrior movements/weapons/armor and a slightly different story just aren't going to keep my interest for very long. Especially after I spent 60+ hours playing RTW/BI already.

Dont get me wrong, I am going to buy this when it comes out. I just have a hunch that I will be bored with it much sooner. Not trying to piss on anyone's parade, just the truth. I suppose knowing that RTW was the first total war game I ever played would probably help explain my point of view.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
No. Rome TW's engine was created from scratch.

Saying that it's the same as shogun is like saying Quake 4's engine is an updated version of Quake 2's engine.

This was my point.
They were all similar concepts/design but I knew for fact that is was new for Rome.