Mediocre 3DMark CPU Score (stock) - i9-9900K / RTX 2080

Dec 19, 2018
So, I don't know how else to say it. My CPU just scores lower than other people with the same GPU/CPU combo. I guess it could be other things at play, but it just seems like it's a weak CPU. Everything is running at stock clocks. It irks me because my GPU scores really well. I'll link the results below. Other than just checking utilization during a test/after test with various software, I don't know where to look to figure out if my CPU is just a runt or if it's not being properly utilized. I'm about to lose my mind because I know I should be getting higher scores.

3DMark (Time Spy) - https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/31679959

i9-9900K
RTX 2080
16GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Running a 360mm AIO cooler, and triple fans on GPU. I have no issues with heat. I haven't gotten anything to show me a temp above 59c yet, even during stress testing/benchmarking. So I have no clue what's going on. Thanks in advance for any help.

That is odd. Did you clean install windows or bring a drive over from an old system?

If clean install, did you get all the latest drivers for everything from the motherboard site?

Latest bios?

Stopping all extraneous processes before the test? No active virus scanning?

Could be a BIOS Setting. 9900k does have this sh****y 95 Watt corset.
He probably has to raise his Power Limit in the Bios.

Dec 19, 2018
So thanks for all the answers. The quick and easy answer...yes, yes, and yes. I've done all the things with drivers and BIOS, making sure I have the latest drivers and BIOS files. What I just recently did was stress test the CPU, then go back into the BIOS and did the whole AI thingy which made my "max" clock now jump up to around 5,1. That's great and all...and the score even went up by about 200 points...but I'm still almost 1,000 points behind a couple of people I'm testing against with the same CPU. They do have 32GB of RAM and they are running their OS/benchmark software off of an NVMe M.2 drive (EVO 970)...whereas I'm using a standard SATA 2.5" SSD for OS, and running benchmark off of 7200RPM data drive. Would that really make a difference? Would the CPU score be affected by that?

As for RAM, I am currently running 2 x 8GB DDR4 3000Mhz, and they are running 4 x 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz.

OS is fresh. Just installed about a week ago.