Medium CPU load hitting 100 degrees with a water cooler - after applying fresh thermal paste.

Ghost Of Jupiter

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello! I am using an i7-4790k, with a closed liquid cooling system, for about 2 years. Recently, the computer has begun to shut down for overheating. I installed real temp, and open hardware monitor. While running older games, that used to be a breeze - about 40% load, 60% during particularly difficult sequences - they both are listing the chip as hovering right around 100 degrees Celsius.

So, I browsed some forums and did the following. I checked the coolant block, and heard water swishing around, so that shouldn't be it. I cleaned out the old thermal paste, and applied new stuff, then put the whole thing back together. As I write this, with Dragon Age: Inquisition running in the background, all 4 of my cores are hitting 100 degrees, consistently. Do I need a need a new water cooler?

I checked the tubes - one is very hot, the other is much cooler. That seems to imply the cooler is working. I also did the thermal paste again, and as I write this, at a 4% load, real temp is saying my temperature is 78 degrees.

Thanks!

Solution
Are you using a hacked version of Windows and have you updated drivers of your motherboard and devices??
Try to find a free driver Booster say 4.1 or 4.0 and update that (dont pay for anything or sign up for extras, also suggest to go into programs and settings and deleting a lot of the programs that you have installed, You have crap going on in the background especially causing this so try to find a process control to shut this stuff down. Try CC Cleaner from Piriform and see whatelse is available from them.
Let us know if this helps so we know what works and Feedback keeps us guys offering our support.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like either the rad fan is not spinning up when needed, or it is just not spinning fast enough at all. Or the pump is working but not sufficiently. Is this a AIO cooler or custom? If AIO, which model?

Do you still have the stock cooler that came with the CPU?

TheRedHurricane

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

Do you have another cooler that you can use for comparison?

Aug 27, 2014
Are you using a hacked version of Windows and have you updated drivers of your motherboard and devices??
Try to find a free driver Booster say 4.1 or 4.0 and update that (dont pay for anything or sign up for extras, also suggest to go into programs and settings and deleting a lot of the programs that you have installed, You have crap going on in the background especially causing this so try to find a process control to shut this stuff down. Try CC Cleaner from Piriform and see whatelse is available from them.
Let us know if this helps so we know what works and Feedback keeps us guys offering our support.

Solution