Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

double_d

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005
Does anyone know of any US retailers for this headset, it seems all have to be shipped from UK which adds mucho money to the cost.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As we said at the beginning of the article, those are guide prices only. That’s the RRP we were quoted and what others sell it for is not up to us. Also, remember that speed-link is a European based company, so there’s a good chance the price we’ve stated (that they stated to us… with me still?) is a European estimate. Sorry mate… they’re still worth it, though ;-)

RoadKillGrill

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2005
Well i read this artcle and wanted to get the Medusa 5.1 but no one sells them :\ wat kind of joke is that, i can get the senheisers for $35.00 and there are pleny of retailers for it. you need to change the price, no one sells the Medusa for for the price you had.
_______
NOTE: These units only come with the European power connectors. A North American power adapter is required.
___
Thanks for telling us that in your article o wait you didnt, now i need to find a guide that reviews headsets i can buy.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by roadkillgrill on 07/14/05 12:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
'tis a legal thing about RRP's. Leave it with us...

And as far as we know they should come with an American power adapter. Though that's down to the supplier ordering the correct models. There's very little we can do about that I'm afraid.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Aaron on 07/14/05 01:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Medusa_USA

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Just to clear up any mis-understandings...

Speed-Link are the Manufacturers. They do not sell direct.

After Hours Computers are the UK Based parent company for...

Medusa-USA www.medusa-usa.com
Medusa-Canada www.medusa-canada
Medusa-Australia www.medusa-usa.com/aus
Medusa-New Zealand www.medusa-usa.com/nz

All of the four Medusa Companies ship direct to the relevant countries and 'exclusively' include a North American Power Supply with all the Non-USB models via the USA and Canadian websites.

After Hours supply www.ncix.com and so consequently Ncix include the North American Power Supply too.

The Medusa sites have lower priced 'OEM' versions available for end-users who are purchasing for themselves and therefore do not require the very pretty Retail packaging. Large Discounts are also available for members purchasing two or more units in one go.

Nate_Pike

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
I have a question for Aaron. What sound card did you use to test the Medusa headset? Do you have a recommendation? Thanks.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry I missed this. Obviously for the 5.1 I had to use a 5.1 capable soundcard (though the USB ones don't need a sound card as they have drivers that emulate one). I used the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2, and it worked a treat.

Nate_Pike

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
Thanks for the reply. I don't currently have an Audigy 2. Will the Medusa headset allow me to get 5.1 with an Audigy 2? I have one on its way in the mail (Medusa). I'm just not sure which sound card I'm going to pair it up with.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anything that's 5.1 will do, though the quality of each individual soundcard may differ - for that I'd look into soundcard reviews. Personally I swear by Creative at the moment.

Nate_Pike

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
Aaron,

I just got my Medusa headset in the mail. First off, I want to say that I received it EXTREMELY quickly (all the way from overseas). Secondly, the packaging was first rate and everything was included that I needed.

I am having some small troubles though. I'm getting a clicking noise that goes away if you hold the cable connections that go into the amplifier box.

Also, as you're familiar with the Creative cards, could you tell me which inputs I need to use on my Audigy 1 card? I basically have input 1, 2, and 3. I just don't seem to be getting the sound I'm supposed to.

I emailed Medusa-USA but didn't get much help from "Matt."

Thanks again and I can't wait to start enjoying the 5.1 surround :)

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not so sure about the clicking noise - I certainly didn't encounter it, though do bear in mind the reversed thingymajigs... yokies... *refuses to go back and read own review to come up with more technical term*

Bear in mind when sticking the cables in that the rear and centre/sub cables are labeled blue and red respectively instead of black and orange, which is the standard on most sound cards.

Any other problems, let me know... apart from the (Ohh ah heck... *goes and gets the thingy*) center and sub-channels being reversed I didn't have too much trouble with them.

Quenlar

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2005
I just got the headset, and I have an Audigy 2, how do you go about reversing the center/sub if they need to be switched (I'm not sure if it needs it or not, but that's what all the reviews say). Right now center/sub is connected by 1 cord, so I don't see how I can swap them.

Thanks.

draco

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
Aaron, I'm sorry, but I'm still confused by your comment about switching the sub/center channes. I just purchased the Medusa 5.1, and the amp's 3 analog jacks mirror my Audigy 2 ZS'. There is a FRONT, REAR, and SUB/CENTER jack. Since the sub and center channel are combined into one jack, how can they be switched? I couldn't find any options in my Creative software to switch these channels.

hs-medusa5.1surroundheadset-02.jpg

Has anyone else experienced a problem with not being able to plug the jacks in all the way? If I plug the "front" jack in all the way, I get no sound out of my left ear at all. But if I pull it out a little bit, then I do. Is this normal? I hate having to "jimmy" wires in order to get them to work. I feel like I'm possibly not getting the full performance I should be getting.

draco

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
Okay, I found some pretty good directions for reversing the sub/center channel using the cables supplied from Medusa. Still a little confusing, but here they are. However, this problem seems to be more common with onboard 5.1 audio with certain motherboards, and a majority of soundcards (including Creative and Hercules) do not have this problem. You only need to switch the center/sub channels if you hear washed-out dialog and a boombing sound coming through your headphones (the Gladiator DVD is a good reference for this).

Aaron, is this what you did?

Reversing sub/center channels using provided cables:

1) Connect Cable A [look at the manual, page 3] to your sound card as usual. Connect the front and rear channels to the amplifier box.

2) Connect the the other end of the sub/center 3.5mm jack plug of Cable A to Cable C.

3) Connect the Cable C with Cable B so that the white RCA connector goes to the red RCA connector and vice versa.

4) Connect the Cable B to the sub/center input of the amplifier box.

MrGreen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
hey guys, i too have purchased these headphones and i have an audigy2, 5.1 capable sound card. However, i don't have the front, rear and sub/centre outputs on my sound card. Therefore my question is, how do i connect this headset to my pc to obtain 5.1??

Thx in advance
--
MrG

kevster762

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
To Mr. Green, and probably anyone having problems with tinny, quiet or missing channels

With 5.1 capable sound cards like yours and my own, 5.1 outputs take the place of the ports normally used for Audio Out (green), Line In (Blue) and Mic (Red), and, seeing as the manual for these headsets doesn't come with a direct guide for people without labelled ports, after swapping around a few times and running a few tests to make sure, i found that (in my case, and hopefully your's too) that the sockets were arranged this way:

Audio Out (Green) = "Front"

Line In (Blue) = "Sub/Cen"

Mic (Red) = "Rear"

You also have to ensure that you have enabled 5.1 on your sound card in order for these headsets to work properly as i'm sure most people do, but for those that don't know how to do this, simply follow these steps:

1. Click Start and select Control Panel
2. Select The icon that has the word sounds etc on it, and select "sound and Audio Devices"
3. In the box that pops up, go to the bottom of the box and select "advanced" in the speaker settings box
4. Choose 5.1 in the "Speaker Setup" box drop down menu and then click ok, and then ok again to exit the sounds and audio devices menu.

Your sound card should now be set up for 5.1 output, but remember that you may also need to select 5.1 audio output in any games or dvd player programs that you use for the headset to work with them, as all programs have their own independant audio settings, and probably wont automatically adjust themselves.

I hope this helps you guys who are having problems, the medusa headset is a brilliant headset, with great sound quality and they're really comfortable to wear for long periods of time, much better than the old generics 2.1 headset i had before :)

Download this file: http://www.cinenow.com/us/vobtrailer.php3/id,77/ and if everything is set up correctly it should play each sound position in sequence.

CrazyJoe

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2005
I have a problem with this headset; all 5.1 channels bar 'left' channel are played in the right earphone i think only the front channel works in 5.1 mode because it's the only one that affects the volume. Really don't know what the problem could be.

i know all the speakers work because when i use the stereo plug adaptor thingy and adjust all the channels seperately they all affect the overall volume just as they should.

EDIT: It's not a problem with the headphones or the amp as they work great on a dvd player, guess that it's my creative audigy 2 NX which i can't get to recognise my 5.1 setup any ideas?

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The center and sub-channels are reversed - just use the extender cables to reverse the center and sub channels in order for the setup to work properly.

Chosen01

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Hi all! A friend and I ordered our Medusa 5.1 headsets recently from medusa-usa.com After all the rave reviews from this and other sites, I had no doubt I would be impressed. Well be that as it may, I'm not impressed, at all. For one, the "North American" power adapter this supposedly include is the Euro version, but with a pin adapter so it will fit in a US style outlet. But the adapter is still rated for a "220V" input. Maybe this doesn't make a difference, or maybe it does, but hear me out.

The main thing is that these sound horrible. They are very quiet, and if you try to turn them up enough to a normal listening level, they are heavily distorted, as if all the speakers are blown. I have tested these with an Audigy 2 with center/sub normal and reversed, and also on my new Shuttle SN26P which uses the VIA Vinyl Envy24 audio chip (tried with sub/center normal and reversed as well). Both of these sound cards sound superb on my Klipsch Promedias, so I know the audio quality problem is not from the source.

One thing that I did notice is that the amp light flickers like mad, as if its being overloaded or something. But this occurs at even modest volume levels. I would think my set was defective, but my friend had ordered the twin set, and he has the exact same problem. He even went as far as to purchase a true US AC adapter that should have worked just fine, but the problem persists. He is using an Audigy2.

Like the other fellow wrote in, the bass is practically non-existant. They vibrate a little, but not enough to be more than barely noticeable.

It seems that a lot of you have had good luck with these, but I'm curious if anyone else has been experiencing these issues. Medusa-usa does not accept returns, or so it says on their site. And I'd really like to be able to use these, as I am not always able to use my speakers. But for now my Sony MDR-180 (just average headphones) sound 10X better.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've tried just about everything I can think of.

Please help! :p

Also worthy of note is on both the Envy24 and Audigy2, I made sure they were set for 5.1 sound, and ran the speaker tests on both cards to make sure the correct channels were being sent to the appropriate speakers in the headset.