Meet CableMod, A Brand Dedicated To Sleeved PSU Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Kii

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
ive been using these for about a year now in my builds, and they are without a doubt the best pre-sleeved cables ive ever used. they blow the water out of cables like the bitfenix alchemy, and although modright come very close, i feel cablemods material they used to braid the cables to be a little nicer.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
At that price point it makes little sense to spend that much on cables just for the looks. I have the Corsair HXI 750 watt PS and it came with sleeved cables. Not individually sleeved per wire but per bundle which is fine. I would like color options of the cable bundles when ordering the power supply. $90 price they are limiting themselves to niche market.

hrafn42

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
www.moddiy.com have also been doing this sort of thing for some time. The also do individual cables, custom lengths, etc. They cut down considerably on the amount of excess cable-length you have to manage in a tight build.

G

can somebody please enlighten me what's so great about having individually sleeved wires, instead of only one sleeve per connector? i thought cables were sleeved to bundle them together, make them look tidy and maybe help with airflow? why do i need a sleeve on every single wire, when the wires are insulated themselves?

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED
we need PC without cables ... why are we stuck in the 1980's designs ? its not that hard to make PC cases without cables at all . everything hot swap and module adding ...

DasBoot

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
ive been using these for about a year now in my builds, and they are without a doubt the best pre-sleeved cables ive ever used. they blow the water out of cables like the bitfenix alchemy, and although modright come very close, i feel cablemods material they used to braid the cables to be a little nicer.

What performance gains do these give to "blow out of the water" that of other cables?
This is just cosmetic dressing. It does nothing to improve the power supply.

g-unit1111

Titan

I think what they're implying is that there's a huge difference between using sleeved cable extensions and using actual sleeved cables. The cable extensions do nothing, but having actual sleeved cables would make a huge difference in the amount of cables in ones' case.

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
That is stupidly expensive. Rather just buy a top of the line power supply which comes with better cable management and modular design.

g-unit1111

Titan

I think you missed the part where these are made for full modular, top of the line power supplies like the Corsair AXi, HXi, and HX series, and the EVGA G2/P2, and Seasonic X and K series. I think the primary market for these is system modders who want a clean look for their cables.

This is for modders and enthusiasts who see their PCs as a work or art... the peeps why dremel the cases, water cool their builds, make their PC attractive to look at. It's the equivalent of pin striping or mag wheels on a car..... however, as you can buy these from Corsair for a Corsair PSU, seems no point.

As yu have been able to buy these things for years, and yes....long since we've said goodbye to heatshrink, I dunno that I see a market in US for a Euro product that will cost more even before cross ocean shipping.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g11/c413/s1599/list/p1/Power_Supplies-PSU_Cables-PSU_Cable_Sets-Page1.html

Also PSU's are not all wired the same and you could well have 30 wires at one end and 24 at the other .... not an easy tasks for most beginners. Most enthusiasts who sleeve do it themselves, at least once, those who do and those that don't generally go to Lutro for either finished sleeves or the materials to do themselves.

http://modbunker.com/
https://www.youtube.com/user/lutro0

Ya wanna know why they do it.... look at the pics on modbunker. :)

Yes, price tag is hefty but again for persons who are more into looks then benefits won't read or listen to the debate of to have or not to have thing. For modders this is a kind of blessing to have a manufacturer doing it for them. Nice addition in the market, CableMod. ModDIY now has competition but still ModDIY has an advantage as they not only deal in psu sleeved cables but for complete modding plus they ship worldwide. Good to see more players are entering into the market.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Why sleeve each wire independently instead of in a bundle. It looks like crap. Instead of being nice and neat, and color coded. Its messy and color coded.

No thanks!

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
There are 2 benefits to individually sleeving cables:
1) A bundle sleeved in one sleeve (i.e, all together) is thicker and less flexible than individually sleeved cables. Thus, individually sleeved cables *may* permit tighter bending and potentially cleaner wiring (the cablemod website does not seem to indicate that custom lengths are supported) than the retail cables.
2) Aesthetics. For those that like the look and can show it off.

durahl

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I sleeved the Cables on my Corsair AX1200i myself and while it certainly was a pain in the ass which took me about 3 days ( I'm using about 80-90% of the cables ) it certainly was worth it as each strand now is only as long as I need it and without additional plugs I have no use for.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Not terrible for presleeved but these hold nothing against MDPC-X and LutroO Teleios sleeving. The worst part is how the cables fan out in an unsightly fashion as well as not having any cable collars. These don't really stand out against alchemy or corsair or Silverstone or EVGA sleeved cables but they're not bad. But the designs they're going for really are to appeal to those who usually just go to icemodz for their cables or modbunker.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I just use icemodz which take it one step further.
He does it to order, So if you have a specific length of cable or specific colour or you want the power connectors at a certain spacing he can do it.
These ones will be just one length I bet so it's still going to be messy trying to hide it all.
The point of sleeved is not really for better performance, It's all about looks although with better cable management you can get better airflow which will give a slight benefit to keeping your temps down.
These are not for average joe who just turns pc on and doesn't give a second glance, This is for enthusiasts who build to show off their kit, Just like car enthusiasts who do mods, You don't need chrome and braided hoses under the bonnet either but it sure as hell looks good!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
First thing you'd have to do is get the motherboards to standardize on the locations for their drive connectors (and don't forget the added cost of integrating this circuitry into cases). Of course, M2 drives will eliminate this by plugging directly into the mobo.

Next, you'd have to rev the PCIe standard to add more power rails to eliminate PCIe auxilliary power. IMO, they should've done that long ago.

But that still leaves the motherboard power and fans. You couldn't avoid those cables without limiting case design too much. Although, I do think it's strange that ATX motherboards need so many wires from the PSU.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The downside is that they block more air.

I once sleeved my PSU cables (back in 2005, when most PSU cables had the individual wires exposed). At that time, it meant putting all of the wires into a single sleeve. I did it to reduce airflow blockage. It took forever and I spent most of the time cursing myself for ever starting. I can't imagine sleeving the individual wires. I guess case modding ain't for me.

I think most people who do this probably use pre-sleeved wires and simply bundle & connectorize them.

The reason peeps do it is consistent aesthetic appearance.... Fan cables, HD cables, SATA cables, PSU cables. It doesn't have to look bad as Lutro0 has been showing for years.... yes I have seen peeps spend 3 days sleeving cables and do a poor job and it looks like crap.....kinda like CableMod's work. But it can look great:

10660858_10152830909104179_2093157062_n-100x80.jpg

ROG-Extension-100x80.jpg

8-hole-profile-100x80.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.