Meet Cota, the New Remote Wireless Power System

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I was wondering how long it would take to finally have a company propose wireless charging using beam-forming.

Now, lets see how many devices they'll manage to power up at the same time and up to how much total combined power. I imagine many people would quite gladly ditch their conventional AA/AAA/9V batteries if they could.

InvalidError

Titan

They are using the 2.4GHz unlicensed spectrum and IIRC, 1W is the absolute maximum allowed there in most jurisdictions. With beam-forming though, they might be able to bend the rules to have multiple 1W paths.

That is still enough to power stuff like most gamepads, remote controls, smoke detectors and likely a bunch of other minor loads whose batteries have a tendency to die on people at the most inconvenient time.

ozchoz

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Forget the gaming stuff and accessories, imagine what this could do for artificial organs like hearts and valves.

Meh. Same frequency as WiFi.

I think I don't want to be in the same neighbourhood as one.

EDIT: By memory, that one watt is what (ha) is received, not transmitted. Given it's about 10% efficient, I think the FCC and similar organizations would get quite upset at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.