MegaCITY Dallas/Fort Worth

dallas

I'm not a big scenery guy like Coal Turner, but I may have to have this one.
The screenshots look spooky real...

I'm pretty sure I'll order in the next couple of days because if you
preorder MegaCITY Dallas/Fort Worth you get a free 6 Month Computer Pilot
Subscription too. That's like getting the scenery free.

I haven't been paying attention, is Megascenery the good stuff?

http://www.megascenery.com/megacitydfw.htm

Dallas

dallas

Question:

MegaCity brags about Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex recreated from 1 foot per
pixel aerial photography.

However, Will Estes in his review of MegaCity and Horizon stated that FS9
has a 5M per pixel limitation.

Is that true? That would mean that MegaCity is bragging about using 1 foot
per pixel aerial photography but it wouldn't make any difference in practice
because you would have to settle for FS9's 5M per pixel limitation.

Dallas

dallas

"Jay Beckman"
> I just spent this past weekend at the Texas Motor Speedway...
> The second thumbnail (IMO) qualifies as spooky real

Yeah, I live here and all of the screenshots are "wow". I hope they don't
suffer from the blurries up close.

I assume you flew here in your single engine?... that would mean you got
the same perspective as the screenshots.

Dallas

> "Jay Beckman"
>> I just spent this past weekend at the Texas Motor Speedway...
>> The second thumbnail (IMO) qualifies as spooky real
>
> Yeah, I live here and all of the screenshots are "wow". I hope they
> don't
> suffer from the blurries up close.
>
> I assume you flew here in your single engine?... that would mean you got
> the same perspective as the screenshots.
>

> Dallas

Nope,

Just watching the camera shot from a chopper which was able to make a brief
appearance for our broadcast, but then had to depart with a mechanical issue
of some kind.

Jay

Bob

Jay Beckman wrote:

> Nope,
>
> Just watching the camera shot from a chopper which was able to make a brief
> appearance for our broadcast, but then had to depart with a mechanical issue
> of some kind.
>
> Jay

That "mechanical issue of some kind" makes a person think. In the
civilian Bell 206's I flew there were many problems I found that would
never allow an Army OH-58 to fly. One in particular was a torque tube
connected to the throttle linkage with slots in the side. A deformation
of just a bit would ground an Army 58 but when I brought it up when I
found it I was asked "what would happen if it broke" The answer is that
you would lose droop compensation, one of the things that maintain N2 at
100%, or 103% on an A model. Since I already knew how to fly an
aircraft with a bad droop compensator I had to agree and off I went. It
was safe as could be, but was against the maintenance we pulled in the
Army. Our aircraft looked shitty, bur are the best maintained in the
world, while the civilian aircraft have pretty stripes and cushy seats,
but are not maintained to the standards of the military.

That said, if the pilot actually left a mission for a "mechanical issue"
I certainly would not fly in that aircraft. It had to be fairly serious.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

> I'm not a big scenery guy like Coal Turner, but I may have to have this
> one.
> The screenshots look spooky real...
>
> I'm pretty sure I'll order in the next couple of days because if you
> preorder MegaCITY Dallas/Fort Worth you get a free 6 Month Computer Pilot
> Subscription too. That's like getting the scenery free.
>
> I haven't been paying attention, is Megascenery the good stuff?
>
> http://www.megascenery.com/megacitydfw.htm

I still think more can be done with good landclass/texture/autogen than some
of the photorealistic scenery, at least for low-and-slow GA flying. I find
"Austria Professional", for example to be a beautiful bit of scenery, and
also the new Rhode Island package (judging by the videos).

> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>> I'm not a big scenery guy like Coal Turner, but I may have to have this
>> one.
>> The screenshots look spooky real...
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I'll order in the next couple of days because if you
>> preorder MegaCITY Dallas/Fort Worth you get a free 6 Month Computer Pilot
>> Subscription too. That's like getting the scenery free.
>>
>> I haven't been paying attention, is Megascenery the good stuff?
>>
>> http://www.megascenery.com/megacitydfw.htm

Like all photo realistic stuff it suffers somewhat close up. That said, I've
got San Francisico and Denver and am very impressed. Have a friend who lives
in Denver and he was knocked out.
I've pre-ordered Dallas not least for the magazine subscription!

Chris

FS9 does have that limit. But the quality of the source data still makes a
big difference. If you compare Megacity screenshots (1M source) to
Megascenery screenshots (5m source?) the Megacity is much crisper and has
significantly better colour quality.

I would avoid Megascenery in favour of Megacity. If you want high quality
coverage outside cities as well, VFR USA by Horizon is the product to go for
but so far they only do Northern California.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:05:47 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> http://www.megascenery.com/megacitydfw.htm

Holy batflaps, grandma!

That's gotta take a huge bite out of one's framerate!
I don't care how close that comes to the real world....that's beautiful!

--

Marcel
(That's no moon...it's a space station!)

dallas

"Marcel Kuijper"
> I don't care how close that comes to the real world....that's beautiful!

Good. So it's not just me that thinks it special...

Here's what I LOVE about it - they did the water too. I've always been
disappointed by FS9s water compared to the real world.

Here is their water:

http://www.megascenery.com/images/megacitydfw/dfw4.jpg

It's not going to reflect, nor can you land a float plane on it, but it
looks like the real thing.

Dallas

Moving on from FPS, how much of a hit does it give. I have mine locked at
20FPS and 80% time its always on 20% but panning left and right there is
often a delay, my Geforce 4 Ti4200 128DDR holds up well seeing as its quiet
slow in this age

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.