Megaflow 200mm isn't working while PC is fully put together.

Omnibit

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Hello everyone!

This is baffling me as to why this is happening, but heres my problem.

I recently got a second Megaflow 200mm fan for my HAF 922 case to use as a side intake. Now I put everything together, and everything works except for the fan. I was completely sure I put everything together correctly, but I decided to investigate as to why this was happening. So I disconnected everything, and tried using the fan with nothing connected, and my PC torn apart, and it works! So, joyfully, I put my PC back together, and turn it on again after connecting all the parts for my PC, and it doesn't work again. Can anyone please help me here since I have no idea what's going on or what to do. A friend said that it could be my PSU, so I don't know if thats the reason. Here are the specs of my PC anyways.

i5-4670k
HD 7950 3GB OC w/ Boost
8Gb G.Skill RipJaws X
240GB SanDisk SSD
1TB W.D HDD
MSI Z87-G43
Hyper 212 EVO
CX600

Can anyone please help me? I am connecting the fan using a molex since I ran out of fan connectors on my motherboard. Like I said, it works when everything is disconnected from the back of my PC only. Am I using too much power? Do I need another PSU? I was told that 600W would be enough to add an extra fan to my build.

Any info would be great, this is really frustrating me... Thanks!

Solution
well i would find it strange if all the molex connectors on the psu were bad.

you probably have a bad molex to fan connector then. perhaps its not getting contact.

Omnibit

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

The only thing on this line is the fan since its the only thing I had to use Molex for.

Omnibit

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

No I don't have another line, but there are 3 Molex ports on this cord. I already tried 2 of them, so I'm just assuming the third also doesn't work.

I suppose I could try that. Do you believe it is the PSU though? Just want to rule that out if it is or not.

well... the psu is smaller than i would have suggested (i'd have probably used a 650) but it "should" be enough.

i cant imagine that one single fan is pushing you over your voltages since if it was your whole system would likely crash or have some pretty major issues and you would have noted that.

i find it odd though that you said the fan was working when things were unplugged. what did you mean unplugged from the back of the pc only? you mean like your monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard? please specify.

also do you happen to have any sata to fan adapters or otherwise another adapter so you can try something other than a molex?

i'm hesitant to say you're over voltage but it could very well be a psu fault.

Omnibit

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

I'm sorry for the confusion. I meant that my keyboard, mouse, monitor, and turtle beaches were unplugged from the back of my computer, so you were right in your assumption.

I'm afraid I don't have any SATA to Molex adapters, but I am using the 3 pin fan to Molex connector provided by Cooler Master.

I also found it strange that only the fan doesn't work when everything else is on. I know that it would've crashed as well, which is why I am completely lost as to why this is happening. And I was actually thinking of upgrading to a more powerful PSU, like the Seasonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold, but I don't know if I can come up with money.

Omnibit

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
I've isolated the problem to either the molex connector or the psu molex cables. I just tried trying to power a 120 mm fan and that would not power as well, but the 200 mm worked on the motherboard.

I am going to try to see if I can find someone I know that has an adapter or try to find one for cheap so I can see if that is the issue.

Omnibit

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

That's exactly what it was. I went out to a local computer shop and got another connector and right away it powers on and everything is working fine. Thanks for the help!