MegaRAID help please!

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi all, running a RAID6 with eight 6TB drives on a LSI MegaRAID SAS 9271-8i on a Windows 10 server.

On Christmas Eve, my RAID mysteriously fell offline and the LSI bios would hang, preventing the system from booting. I figured it was either the card or the cables that had gone bad, but just to be safe I ordered new everything: new card and new cables. (of course this would happen just before a holiday so everything is slower to arrive)

Just finished installing all the new cables and plugging the drives back in, and it's telling me I have 5 drives "foreign (unconfigured good)" 2 drives "foreign (rebuild required)" and 1 drive just "unconfigured good."

Obviously this represents three logical failures in the RAID 6 and the array may be lost. Just wondering if anyone has any hail-mary procedures that may help recover this array.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I guess the crux of my question is twofold: 1) Is there any way to rebuild the "foreign configuration" flag on the drive that's just showing up as "unconfigured good?" and 2) Is there any way to deactivate the "rebuild pending" flag on the two drives that have it and just take my chances without the rebuild?

Solution
Update and success! Ended up removing all the member disks and connecting them up directly to the computer (had to buy a PCI SATA controller for $30 to get them all on at once). The software at http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/ was able to figure out the parameters of my RAID after about 30 minutes and they sell companion software for $80 that enabled me to begin recovering files to another drive.

I'll recover the critical files first, then will take the risk of trying to manually re-create the volume using the parameters detected by the recovery software. Will post back here once those results are known (it'll be a while as I still have some recovery to do).

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Understood that this is possibly the situation. Both the on-site backup and online backups were destroyed maliciously last week as well. It's truly been a perfect storm. That's why I'm pulling out all the stops to try to save this. The data is mostly there, even if a percentage of it is corrupt. It's just a matter of getting it into a readable form so I can copy what I can.

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Update and success! Ended up removing all the member disks and connecting them up directly to the computer (had to buy a PCI SATA controller for $30 to get them all on at once). The software at http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/ was able to figure out the parameters of my RAID after about 30 minutes and they sell companion software for $80 that enabled me to begin recovering files to another drive.

I'll recover the critical files first, then will take the risk of trying to manually re-create the volume using the parameters detected by the recovery software. Will post back here once those results are known (it'll be a while as I still have some recovery to do).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS