Megatrends rears its ugly head again...

ericstjohn

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Hi. I timed out, I guess, last night so I'll try to be quicker now that there're no distractions and remain as thorough as I can.
Experience level: Not determined by age. Dangerous newbie; knows just enough to get into trouble. First bluescreen was in '05.
Main issue: Audio, with a twist.
Secondary issue: bios update set my cpu back to a Sempron 145.
Third and most recent issue: restarts itself. (So far it's been on for at least half an hour and running smoothly. I'm doing this on my G5 PPC.)
The Narrative: I decided to buckle to non-support and give up XP Pro for 7 Pro 64. I just bought an EvilBay Special, a rack case with an ASUS M4A785-M matx board and presumably dead Xonar DG audio card. It's in reality a badged C-Media.
The machine's function is to be a mobile recording unit. After a driver hassle in XP, I had integrated HD audio at least while sought out an affordable W7. The clean install went without a hitch, except now its audio is malfunctioning again, but differently this time and I do have that "unknown device" back again in device manager. I have a newly downed driver for the VIA integrated HD audio but the front panel's out. Hmmm. Uncle Google says to update the BIOS, which I did. The reg confirms this.
Which brings me to the cpu and the Megatrends message I saw in the middle of the BIOS update.
Here are the links I followed to this juncture, except, of course, the one that suggests a BIOS update to fix the audio:
http://techtips.salon.com/update-asus-motherboard-bios-22152.html
which looks like it was taken from:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1
The subsequent cpu setback that came as result of me missing the window of opportunity to unlock the cpu happened in the "automatic restart" phase.
Here's what happened: I got the Megatrends screen when the EZflash began the restart as described in the thread above. It pretty much hung up the restart. I forgot which other options there was available--I didn't like any of them--but there was an option to select F4, I think, to set defaults or something and continue. Note that the ASUS thread mentions defaults more than once only with F5. WTH? I selected Megatrends' F4 and the restart resumed. Just before that ebb in the tide, I noticed--almost missed--the option to unlock my cpu. I didn't make it, of course. I just discovered that it's in the ASUS startup screen. Press 4 to unlock. (I'm multitasking.) I haven't seen the Megatrends screen today. But I've unplugged the machine and will See if I can do anything at startup.
Should I flash the BIOS again for the audio? What should I do if I can't unlock the cpu?

ericstjohn

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Okay, I'm back to Athlon II but still no headphones. I'm looking into: sound cards and if need be a rebuild with an intel board. Any ideas on how to get this ah heck up and going properly? I really don't need the phones b/c I use an interface, but I like to know my stuff's working properly.
Can individual components of a board go out like a slot or usb port or integrated audio or video?