[SOLVED] Meldown coused by cheap power supply??

Jan 27, 2019
So hello guys,
I have this pc

Spec:
AMD Fx-6300 six-core
Gtx 750 ti 2gb
8gb ram
Asus M5A78L-M LX3

And there goes the power supply.. so psu as I checked is (520 w technoware free silent) 20$ worth, and guess what, Iplayed GTA V and pc turned off, on the motherboard where is 12x connector wires melted down. What I did, I took another power supply from my old PC 540w( no brand) and pc looked to work fine, but again it turned off, i checked nothing melted. I turn on the pc and See the warning " power supply surges detected during the previous power on"

So now you know what happed, and my question is- what power supply should i get for my PC? And btw after this situation happening is there any chances motherboard is fine?

P.S.
Sorry for my language

Solution
A CX550 is usually a fair price for an average quality psu. You have found out why you don't buy a $20 psu, I think you will be very lucky if you have not damaged the motherboard, if there was enough power to melt the socket there was too much being provided to the motherboard.
A CX550 is usually a fair price for an average quality psu. You have found out why you don't buy a $20 psu, I think you will be very lucky if you have not damaged the motherboard, if there was enough power to melt the socket there was too much being provided to the motherboard.

Solution

torveo

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
The motherboard could be ok. If the wires melted simply because they couldn't handle the normal operating current, then chances are the motherboard is fine. If the wires melted because there was an unusually high amount of current then the motherboard could very well be damaged. If you got the message that there was power supply surges on the previous power on, then it obviously is functional to a certain degree. But stability could be compromised.