Melinda Gates Tells UK Radio About Family Ban on Apple Products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Teeroy32[/nom]My house is an anti-apple house to, penguins live in my household, except gaming, Microsoft all the way[/citation]
It sounds like Linux all the way.

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]It sounds like Linux all the way.[/citation]
Soon it will be linux all the way once games are more redily available, but may need a dual boot windows for a while, and I do love my Xbox, only machine that will run newer Halo

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]AzureFlash[/nom]I wouldn't put it past the founder of Microsoft to restrict even his children's freedoms such as the freedom of choice.[/citation]

Note that it says in the household. If I'd be Gates, I'd probably do the same, Apple should be infinitely more disgusting to him than it is to anyone else and he probably doesn't want to regularly see a reminder about how people (sadly) buy into his direct competitor's BS OR have his kids mention how some stuff is better than what their dad's company makes. The closer someone is, the more they'll hurt you by pointing out that someone is better than you. So I completely understand Gates. Hopefully he at least allows Android - Windows is great for everything desktop and laptop related, but I'd rather have Android on the tablet or smartphone.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Teeroy32[/nom]My house is an anti-apple house to, penguins live in my household, except gaming, Microsoft all the way[/citation]

Soon that will be linux to if the gaming industry keeps moving the way they are doing.. Then I'll be all penguins to =)

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
There's a "No Apple" policy in my house too.
But it's more because I find them to be bloated over-controlling pointless products with a premium price tag, that don't do anything significantly more special then what I can get else where for less money and restrictions.

Not all my electronics are windows though, I've taken a liking to Android as of late for mobile products esp for my phone (With exception of my old Zune), but my laptop and all my desktops are windows XP or 7.

twelve25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]AzureFlash[/nom]I wouldn't put it past the founder of Microsoft to restrict even his children's freedoms such as the freedom of choice.[/citation]

Oh please, man. Kids have the freedom of choice once they turn 18 AND make their own money. I restrict what products my kids can buy, too.

You think the CEO of GM buys his children Ford cars or wouldn't give them a bunch of crap if they bought one?

halcyon

Splendid
We're a mixed household. My wife has a MacBook Air. My 3 and 13 yr. olds each have their own iPads and and I'm a Windows and Android man. I can't imagine ever telling my wife or 13 yr. old they can't bring a certain brand of technology in the house as long as it doesn't pose a threat I can't mitigate. I won't be buying any Windows phones unless in the future they radically depart from what they are today. ...just not interested.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
In his house with what ends up being his money yes he can do that. Just an FYI but kids under the legal age don't really have freedoms they only have what their parents allow them since they are held responsible for what the children do.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
1) Gates has said this before.

2) Why is this news?

3) if the article is about what Melinda Gates said, why is there a picture of Bill Gates?

4) Kevin, Wolfgang and Zak seem to be a disservice to the likes of Chris, Don, Thomas, Paul, Jane, Catherine and the rest who actually make Tom's Hardware a site to go to. I feel sad, since i actually like this site and am an active member of the community.

G

It's a good thing Mac users haven't adopted Gates' arbitrary ban -- all those Macs running Windows and/or the Office Suite shunning Microsoft might damage Mrs. Gates' lifestyle.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bluestar2k11[/nom]There's a "No Apple" policy in my house too.But it's more because I find them to be bloated over-controlling pointless products with a premium price tag, that don't do anything significantly more special then what I can get else where for less money and restrictions.Not all my electronics are windows though, I've taken a liking to Android as of late for mobile products esp for my phone (With exception of my old Zune), but my laptop and all my desktops are windows XP or 7.[/citation]

Zune owners are an endangered species, did you also by a Kin?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
There is no such ban in my household. We tend to buy whatever works best for a given task. Sometimes it's an Apple product. Commonly it's not. iPhones, Androids, and iPods are all in use here as well as a 360. Microsoft products have always dominated the PCs in my household, but with Windows 8 that may be changing. A Mac is probably in our future.

I spent an entire day installing Windows 7 onto a brand new ultrabook because the person I gifted it to decided after 2 days that she couldn't tolerate Windows 8. A whole day. Safeboot, old UEFI implementations, storage drivers, funky networking drivers, drivers that intentionally don't work with Windows 7, and a whole host of other things caused that ordeal to be very painful for me. Never again.

If the Gates family wants to intentionally handicap their capabilities by relying on Microsoft products that aren't as good as the competition too bad for them. Bigotry really shrinks your world and limits your possibility. It's too bad they're not operating as a guiding light to Microsoft showing them what products they need to get serious about competing with.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I'm proud to say that I haven't a single Apple product in my house. My PC's runs Windows, my MP3 player is an old Creative Zen Vision M, and though I don't have a smartphone just yet, it will be Android or Windows Phone 8 when I get one.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]I'm proud to say that I haven't a single Apple product in my house. My PC's runs Windows, my MP3 player is an old Creative Zen Vision M, and though I don't have a smartphone just yet, it will be Android or Windows Phone 8 when I get one.[/citation]

Congrats its almost 2013 and you don't have a smartphone but as a consumer you think you're better than someone who has an iPad / iPod touch / iPhone ???

I wouldn't mind having an iPhone or an iPad considering they paved the way for all finger touch devices that came after. Android devices were not first to market but have a great job in taking market share.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Note that it says in the household. If I'd be Gates, I'd probably do the same, Apple should be infinitely more disgusting to him than it is to anyone else and he probably doesn't want to regularly see a reminder about how people (sadly) buy into his direct competitor's BS OR have his kids mention how some stuff is better than what their dad's company makes. The closer someone is, the more they'll hurt you by pointing out that someone is better than you. So I completely understand Gates. Hopefully he at least allows Android - Windows is great for everything desktop and laptop related, but I'd rather have Android on the tablet or smartphone.[/citation]

Yes apple controls its ecosystem like a dog with a bone, but honestly they do make good products!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]We're a mixed household. My wife has a MacBook Air. My 3 and 13 yr. olds each have their own iPads and and I'm a Windows and Android man. I can't imagine ever telling my wife or 13 yr. old they can't bring a certain brand of technology in the house as long as it doesn't pose a threat I can't mitigate. I won't be buying any Windows phones unless in the future they radically depart from what they are today. ...just not interested.[/citation]

Dude, just imagine the PR impact of "Bill Gates kids use...". Just telling that they wanted to is bad enough...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Teeroy32[/nom]Soon it will be linux all the way once games are more redily available, but may need a dual boot windows for a while, and I do love my Xbox, only machine that will run newer Halo[/citation]

Linux is used far more in Germany.
Lots of engineers, relatively few gamers. Go figure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts