[SOLVED] Melted knob on KeySight power supply

Sep 22, 2021
Hi,

I am working with a KeySight power supply to power some electronic boards. The supply has output settings of 6.5V and ~32A. There are two channels on the power supply that can be used for the power. In order to avail the higher current, we are using the 'Parallel Mode' for both the channels and just use channel 1.

I noticed that a knob that is used to screw the large gauge wires to the power supply has melted. I also noticed that there is no current being output from this channel currently. However, channel 2 is still functioning fine. This seems quite strange. I am attaching an image to show the melted knob on channel 1. Is anyone familiar with this? I guess I will have to ask for a replacement from the distributor.

IMG-0285.jpg

Please let me know.

Thanks

Solution
@jay32267 We have always used this channel in Parallel mode and we previously observed current on this. So, it is only after the observation that the knob melted that the current is not being output. However, as I mentioned channel 2 is working fine.
I guess I'm not sure what "parallel mode" is. Is it not that they are connected in parallel?

Regardless.....if it isn't working I'd be looking just on the other side of the enclosure of that terminal.
Perhaps the heat caused something to disconnect.
Sep 22, 2021
@jay32267 We have always used this channel in Parallel mode and we previously observed current on this. So, it is only after the observation that the knob melted that the current is not being output. However, as I mentioned channel 2 is working fine.

I guess I'm not sure what "parallel mode" is. Is it not that they are connected in parallel?

Regardless.....if it isn't working I'd be looking just on the other side of the enclosure of that terminal.
Perhaps the heat caused something to disconnect.

Solution