[SOLVED] Melted V-core

Jan 12, 2020
i bought a used RX-580 and as soon as i turned the PC on it fried the GC smoke and nasty smell. The person that sold it said he pulled it froma working HP PC but did nto test so ws sold as not working.

I understand buying not tested but if this thing was fried before pulling thats lying inmy book. but whatever.

My questions are 1. can it be fixed and 2. do you think it is possbile that it just happen to melt like this or would the person have know it was on its way out. 3. is it worth anything to sell for parts and how much?

thanks!

Solution
Yeah, brutal power supply. Junk PSUs at load kill components the same way someone out of shape trying to run a marathon can have a heart attack. Pushing electronic components to the limit does more than simply make them turn off.

You're talking about a PSU that can't go over 336W of +12V power even in the best-case scenario. And garbagey PSUs don't generally have best-case scenarios. Given the results when you plugged in this GPU, it's very likely that whether it was working or not before, your PSU killed it permanently now.

This is non-repairable and worth about nothing. If someone needs some part off a GPU for some reason, they can choose from plenty of other normally broken GPUs rather than one that was fried.

This GPU should...
Jan 12, 2020
ol took a picture to a local shop and he said the chips that melted regulate voltage so i think the memory is ok.

Anyone know if this can be fixed and if not is the card worth anything for parts? I dont want to pass my bad buy to someone else and will jus ttoss it inthe trash.

Also what would cause this issue overclocking too much?

Jan 12, 2020
It is worth $0.
It cannot be 'fixed' with any reasonable cost.
It is dead.

It was probably caused not by simple overclocking, but incorrect power being applied.

Recycle responsibly.
thank for the reply!

ok on value - i just thought someone migth need it for the little bits and chips ect on the board that did not get fried.

I am not sure how the wrong power could have been applied. Same mobo has a GC in it right now and it works. Tried 2 other GCs and they both worked.

I am pretty not upto date on PC stuff so only thing i can think of is i plugged the card into an older PC board. Can it be a differnt PCI slot cause a voltage issue? board is an old Asus striker extreme if that helps.

Jan 12, 2020
If it was sold as not working, it was not working.

What is the exact power supply in your PC? Take a picture of the label itself if you have to.
its a Inland ILG-500R2 500W there is one 6+2 power lead which is the one i used as the card needs a 6 pin. TBH i dont even know where i got the PSU but it must be 5+ years old but i dont use my PCs very much at all.

could it be as stupid as using the wrong connector lol that would be just someting i would do. guess it better to learn a lesson on a used GC than an new one!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, brutal power supply. Junk PSUs at load kill components the same way someone out of shape trying to run a marathon can have a heart attack. Pushing electronic components to the limit does more than simply make them turn off.

You're talking about a PSU that can't go over 336W of +12V power even in the best-case scenario. And garbagey PSUs don't generally have best-case scenarios. Given the results when you plugged in this GPU, it's very likely that whether it was working or not before, your PSU killed it permanently now.

This is non-repairable and worth about nothing. If someone needs some part off a GPU for some reason, they can choose from plenty of other normally broken GPUs rather than one that was fried.

This GPU should never have been connected to this power supply.

Solution
Jan 12, 2020

This GPU should never have been connected to this power supply.
ok guess i learned something today. the junk PSU is in a low end PC so guess thats why it was never an issue. GC in that PC is a heat sink tyoe w/.o fans etc and only 1 or 2 GB of v-mam. guess i'll just go build a PC from scratch again. just got to read up on newer stuff's requirements :)

What scares me is the amount of people that i see posting saying these hi-end PSUs go out on them and take parts out too. Sounds like it is all just junk but slightly less junky if you pay a lot of $ for it.

Thanks for the replies.

THaks for the r

USAFRet

Titan
ok guess i learned something today. the junk PSU is in a low end PC so guess thats why it was never an issue. GC in that PC is a heat sink tyoe w/.o fans etc and only 1 or 2 GB of v-mam. guess i'll just go build a PC from scratch again. just got to read up on newer stuff's requirements :)

What scares me is the amount of people that i see posting saying these hi-end PSUs go out on them and take parts out too. Sounds like it is all just junk but slightly less junky if you pay a lot of $ for it.

Thanks for the replies.

THaks for the r
Low end PSU's are more likely to end up in systems that are never upgraded or stressed.
Medium level PSU's end up in systems where parts are added, often beyond the PSU's actual capabilities.
High end PSU's have more protection circuitry. But nothing is 100% perfect.