Mar 17, 2020
Hello!

I'm using a 2019 Dell g5 15 SE laptop with the following components:

Win 10 (x64)
Intel i7-9750H
GeForce RTX 2060
Toshiba 1TB NVMe SSD

My aggregate AS SSD Score: 3082

And the Windows Memory Diagnostic found 0 issues with my laptop's memory.

However, I'm having persistent issues with the memory and speed. At times, it will need 10-15 seconds to open file explorer via the Windows task bar and clicking it multiple times will open as many windows when it finally decides to fire. The screen will go black often when I'm doing light multitasking such as uploading a video file to the internet and having an Adobe program open. These issues got worse after I plugged in my Raid system (it's just two 32TB cans tethered together). The computer also often crashes while playing DOTA 2 and Remnant: From the Ashes (with or without Raid system plugged in).

Edit: I'm hearing a persistent high pitched whine coming from the computer today, kind of similar to how old desktop printers would sound while printing. The whine lasts 1 second, pauses for a fraction of a second, then whines again, over and over.

I bought this just last year, really didn't expect these issues. I've run it through all the standard tests (PC Mark 10, Cinebench R20, Superposition, Heaven, 3D Mark) and the results are all pretty decent. Can I get some insight as to what might be happening?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020
Well I discovered something interesting when checking temperatures.

GPU resting temp is around 55-58C and CPU resting temps are between 39C and 46C, however the CPU cores keep flaring up to between 51C and 58C periodically, roughly every 10 seconds or so, then drop back down to resting temperatures.

The GPU fluctuates as well but SpeedFan is reading it go from like 56C to 0C and then back up to 56C, so it's not accurately recording any fluctuation.

Edit: A BitDefender quick scan says my system is clean.

Mar 17, 2020
I tested my temperatures using HW Monitor just now and found concerning results. Unfortunately this forum doesn't seem to have the capacity to insert images for some reason so I'll type it out manually:

Temperatures:
Package: Value: 94C Min: 63C Max: 100C
Core #0: Value: 88C Min: 61C Max: 100C
Core #1: Value: 73C Min: 59C Max: 89C
Core #2: Value: 87C Min: 61C Max: 100C
Core #3: Value: 87C Min: 61C Max: 100C
Core #4: Value: 99C Min: 62C Max: 100C
Core #5: Value: 88C Min: 60C Max: 100C

However...

Utilization:
Processor: 47%
CPU #0: 45%
CPU #1: 45%
CPU #2: 64%
CPU #3: 32%
CPU #4: 54%
CPU #5: 40%
CPU #6: 56%
CPU #7: 37%
CPU #8: 65%
CPU #9: 39%

So low-medium utilization but very high temperatures.

Mar 17, 2020
Update: The computer BSOD'd due to having to do 2 tasks: Upload a video to the internet and play a youtube video. No other programs were running, just Brave and Internet Explorer. It worked fine for about 5 minutes after starting the YouTube vid, then all of a sudden it died.

There HAS to be something wrong somewhere.

Mar 17, 2020
Yes, the temperature is an issue. But the bigger question is why is the computer running so hot just to upload a 12GB video file to the internet? I think the issue is deeper than thermal paste -- although I will certainly look into that.

TRENDING THREADS