mem problem please help!

G

I have installed one DIMM in my home PC .
It is 128 MB 100 MHz ECC CAS 2.
When I add any more memory modules , my pc could see only newly added modules. it does not use my 128 ECC module.
the one I am adding is not ECC. What might be the reason that no new modules could work together wit my 128 ECC?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The problem is obvious. You are attempting to mix and match memory modules that are not compatible. ECC memory is usually used in servers, or in high performance workstations.

I'll try to not get technical, but ECC memory uses a chip for parity, and the other RAM you have does not. You should be able to find tremendous amounts of information on the Internet about parity, and how it is used for memory and RAID.

If this is your home desktop computer, my advice is to get rid of the ECC memory, and install paired modules of SDRAM of the same type, from the same manufacturer. Then go into the BIOS, and be sure that any references to ECC memory are disabled. You must do both, or you will continue to have difficulty.

I would suggest that you try to find a manual covering the BIOS on your motherboard, either online, or from the motherboard manufacturer.

Add another message if none of this makes sense, and I'll try to clarify the issue.

See ya ... Toejam31

G

thanks for reply.
I thinkk I 'll try to get rid of my ECC module or by second ECC so they could be identical architecture.

TRENDING THREADS