MEM TEST OCZ Gold

sotorious

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
i have an asus p6t deluxe v2 and i been running mem test and it has been showing 1 error outside of my max ram size limit, then someone suggested that i changed the timings around which i did, and then an 1 error came up within my memory limit, what do you guys think bad ram????

i previously changed out my mobo, because of thinking it was mobo and a combo of bad ram.

the reason why i determined this is because, i bought a tri pack of corsair dominators 1600 and put them in and it was only reading 4 gigs of it, then i put my ocz's back in and it read all 6 gigs. so i returned the dominators got a new mobo with the money of the dominators which is now this asus p6t deluxe v2 that im on (had an asus p6t before)

and i ended up keeping the ocz ram, now when i run mem test, i get 1 error.

here are some screen shots, tomorrow morning im thinking about buying these TR3X6G1600C8 G

i wanna test them and if they show up with no errors i keep them and send the oczs in for rma.

but here are some SC of memtest.

with stock settings

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/sotorious2000/?action=view&current=IMG00022-20091130-1135.jpg

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/sotorious2000/?action=view&current=IMG00018-20091129-1328.jpg

and with some settings someone recommended

which were

Run the tests at 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 tRFC 90 command rate 2N. Ram voltage 1.65V, QPI/VTT set to 1.35V.

result

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/sotorious2000/?action=view&current=IMG00026-20091130-2018.jpg

this is all screen shots from my new motherboard.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You might have gotten some bad Corsair RAM in the first place, but OCZ Gold is consistently bad. Try looking at a few memory comparisons next time.

sotorious

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
so you think that model number i pasted would be pretty good??? TR3X6G1600C8 G im gonna go scoop them up tomorrow morning... i mean im not having no BSOD or freezing, sometimes my games seem a bit choppy from time to time, im thinking that may have been the problem. another reason why i thought it was my mobo cause it always showed up in slot number 3 the final ram slot i had my ram in. and with the corsair i would get BSOD on it. idk i just wanted everything to be over with, im rmaing my old mobo back to asus tomorrow. funny thing is they are sending me 1 then i got to send 1 back

I mean after i do this i dont have to much left, i changed mobo and then ram again only thing left is cpu, but i ran prime 95 on max heat consumption etc.. for 9 hours and 20 mins 0 errors. i been battleing with this computer since i built it ( 1 month) almost made me wish i never built it... mama always told me dont fix whats not broke.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It's hard to say what your results with the new RAM will be, but I'd try manually setting the memory manufacturer's recommended voltage levels before deciding a product might be bad.

sotorious

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
ive tried quiet a few i mean i would like to run it at stock settings, and just let it be no errors in memtest you know what i mean... I shouldnt have to set timings when i buy ram i could understand if i was trying to clock it.. i just want to get the corsairs and let these problems go away.

stefo

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
sometimes and not that ram module maker advertise this, i suspect they get a better than average batch of dram (say stock 1333) and speed them up to higher rating like 1600, literally overclocking stock dram by changing the memory module's SPD spec. it's a dirty trick.

of course, those modules has to be reinforced for better signaling quality, higher voltage and thermal dissipation.

now here's the problem... motherboard makers don't have the time to test & tune their board to these *overclock* ram.

so wat u got is probably a memory signal drift or memory compatibility issues with yr board.

when module maker suspect u got compatibility issue during RMA, they often send u a different manufacturing batch or version.

if u come across memtest errors, 1st thing to do is slow down yr module from say 1600 to 1333 and see if the errors crop up, because that actually opens up more memory signal'g safety margin - decreasing the chance of error.

check yr motherboard's verified or tested memory modules. sometimes, BIOS updates will fix memory compatibility problem as well.

my recommended approach:

1. use prime95 > torture test > "..lots of ram tested.", run yr ram at stock spec.

if error occurs

2. slow yr ram down a notch to confirm if that fixes yr problem. if it does...

3. go back to stock spec, and increase dram voltage a notch but keep within module spec and test again.

if error occurs

4. hike up the dram voltage a notch further, but keep within spec and test again. keep doing this until u hit the upper limit of the module voltage spec.

watch out for static as well. :)

sotorious

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Thats the thing im running the mhz at 1066 as the board sets them, at the 1066 ive messed with the timings, ive also played with the voltages last night i was taking out stick by stick and they all came up with 1 error besides 1, came up with 20 something. another reason why i was hanging with corsair because they have "xmp" profiles which is pretty much a preset. I also wanted to see if this board would detect all 6 gigs, i guess i will twiddle around with the settings some more. if not the only thing i can do is send them back, the only reason why im not sweating it to hard is because i will have another motherboard coming, and if i get new ram ill have another partial computer, which i will eventually put together and sell. I am also pretty noobish when it comes to setting clock speeds and having a fair idea of whats stable or not, im just used to slapping everything in and hoping everything is good to go.

sotorious

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
i just changed some settings around and i noticed in memtest the qpi is now 6.4 gt/s and im pretty sure thats cause i uped the volts on the qpi dram core volt to 1.35v is that safe???? going from 4.8 to 6.4 i did no overclocking to the processor just trying some different settings.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

1.35V should be very safe for the Uncore side of the processor, which is the part that contains the memory controller and the part that Asus labels as QPI DRAM Core