MEMBRANE RUBBER DOME TKL TenKeyLess 87 keyboard?!?!?!

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
looking for a quality brand TKL LED (RGB but maybe just White) MEMBRANE aka rubber dome keyboard. I already have a Ducky One 2 with MX Cherry Brown Mechanical on the way but I think I might actually prefer membrane let alone they cost less and often are spill proof.

currently using a Full-sized Cherry MX silent red STRAFE board (my 1st mechanical) and a SteelSeries Apex150 (a membrane board which I think I actually prefer).

I ordered the Ducky in cherry MX browns (and double shot PBT hoping they will be a bit grippy'er than ABS keys edit ABS oin fnatic ministreak TKL silent red actually feels more grippy) because I still want to give mechanical a shot and I don't really consider reds (or any linear) to be a good example of mechanical compared to a tactical switch. The cherry reds basically feel the same as a $50 Apex150 membrane since there's no tactical click in either.
But I still might end up preferring a membrane over the MX browns so I want a good membrane TLK LED.

I searched all threads from "more from this site:" of tomshardware, reddit, and Geekhack searching for "membrane" + "tkl" or "tenkeyless" or "87" and found basically nadda except for others asking the same thing.

Another thing I might prefer membrane for is key spacing. I have large hands yet I find the spacing of the Corsair Strafe Mx silent to be too far apart. And according to this link, all boards and brands with cherry switches will have the same spacing:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3zq8yd/key_spacing_on_tkl_keyboards/?st=jrgyzx87&sh=9dfed00f

Now I will search ebay and google shopping etc for "tkl" and "tenkeyless" and "%80" and "87" -mechanical (minus mechanical): and see if I find any known brands but haven't found much and hoping maybe there's something good I missed, or at least to bring attention to this corner of the market which I am boggled doesn't exist (TKL+LED+rubber dome).

BTW I am hoping to find one in black, and with the same arrows section of a full sized board and INS, DEL,HOME,END,PG DN/UP keys on the right side, but minus the numberpad of a full sized board. (not looking for a keyboard that has the arrows section simplified and incorporated around the Enter key like %60 compact boards).
And looking for with dedicated function keys row at the top (doesn't use regular number keys + Fn key).

There are plenty of $25-$50 off-brand boards that fit this category but I will gladly pay around $125 if it's from a reputable quality brand because all the cheap ebay boards I used in the past broke in no time under normal conditions.

Last edited:

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
I can't even find cheap boards that are membrane/dome TKL LED. All I seem to find are no-brand mechanicals around $40 and they're usually a knockoff version of blue/brown switched and therefore would be clicky, so if I really have to I might get a cherry mx red/black silent known-brand TKL RGB since I Do want the silence sometimes of the MX silent (but would rather have membrane).

True, not expecting a membrane board to be %100 waterproof but I do eat and drink at my desk and knock on wood but just in case, mechs are usually not spill proof at all.

I can't really find any TKL RGB/White membrane boards. Someone who asked this same thing on reddit a few months ago linked this below but is sold out but it's 10 friggin dollars shipped (about $6 for shipping or something) so yea that would be broken probably in a few months, and it's sold out anyway:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NPET-87-Key-RGB-Backlit-Gaming-Keyboard-G10-Professional-Wired-Membrane-Keyboard/283039624674?hash=item41e679ede2%3Ag%3Awo8AAOSwcOVbC3C8&_sacat=0&_nkw=npet+keyboard&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

here it is in stock for $45, nice try but no thanks if 28 of em sold for $9.99 not worth $45:
(link not showing for some reason but anyway)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NPET-87-Keys-RGB-Backlit-Gaming-Keyboard-G10-Professional-Wired-Membrane-Keyboa/264008779920?epid=12025069877&hash=item3d78264890:g:6g8AAOSwAE9b094t:rk:4:pf:0

I made this asking for known-brand versions of TKL RGB membrane boards but can't find any or even off-brands, can anyone link some off-brand versions? thanks

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
yea see so there are basically none that fit this criteria. I'm linking this to many keyboard manufacturers hopefully they will make non mechanical TKL boards. Yes it is a great idea. Most keyboards sold are probably not even mechanicals, yet they don't have any that are TKL.

"For gaming you do not want mushy keys."

they say linear keys are better for gaming, not tactical/clicky. And vice versa for typing.
They say because of fast double tapping is easier on linear keys than with tactical. For example if your using a sniper rifle and want to peak around a corner without exposing yourself too far, you might tap the strafe key just enough to get a movement register, and might repeat that AKA double tapping- they say this would be better on a linear key than a clicky tactical one. I think it's personal preference and placebo.

I just like mushy keys sometimes although I have not used a true tactical mechanical yet until my Cherry MX brown arrives next week. But I like quiet too and browns are known to be a bit loud and I'm not about to take the whole thing apart and put O-rings and lube to quiet it - I'll just get a linear cherry mx silent board for ~$100 but I don't like the Cherry standard key spacing.

I dunno, bottom line is there's no TKL membranes and that's strange.

blahcomp222

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2014
ok so after receiving my first ever tactical mechanical board F87 w/ Cherry browns I have final thoughts and mini review.

I actually bought a IKBC F87 RGB Double Shot Pbt Ten Keyless Cherry Mx Switch , not a ducky one 2.
https://www.amazon.com/IKBC-F87-BK-BK-Mechanical-Keyboard-K6D73S411001/dp/B01LY7KV6X
I fibbed because I was afraid maybe they were low on stock on F87 Brown, it's the only place available. The Ducky was option B though.

I like the Cherry tactical browns, but not sure if I prefer a membrane, either way it's hard to tell. I think you just get used to what you have.

For some reason this F87 feels much easier to type on than a Corsair STRAFE with Cherry Mx red Silent in terms of key spacing even though I have large hands I prefer tighter spacing. I measured from the edge of the keys from Q to P, and got the same 7.25" (give or take about a 16th) for all three keyboards, F87, STRAFE, and a membrane Steelseries Apex150.

The Apex150 felt easier to type on than the STRAFE, and the F87 feels tighter than both of those in terms of key spacing but they're surprisingly the same measurement. Maybe it's something to do with keycap top tapering. F87 definitely feels much tighter when holding WASD.

Measuring outside to outside from Z to Up Arrow key, I get the same 11-1/8" for all three boards but for some reason it feels MORE farther apart on the F87 since I keep assuming by second nature that it's a tad closer - maybe since I can finally have the keyboard more centered on the desk though for not having a numpad.

Not having the unnecessary numpad is fantastic...
I still hope to find a membrane TKL RGB/white, but for now I'll probably get a Cherry MX Red /Black Silent (linear) as a backup board. Or that $10 shipped membrane one I linked if I find it back in stock but yea those $10 boards are a waste of materials, I haven't had any $25 boards last long before something failed.

The LED doesn't seem as bright on the F87 as the Apex150 membrane but I think I'm starting to like it and maybe prefer somewhat dimmed so it's not a distraction in peripheral vision.

The F87 is PBT plastic keys not ABS plastic. PTB is supposed to feel a tad more grippy but it's still very smooth sort of how fleece has texture but is still smooth.

It seems very odd how many entry/mid level boards major manufacturers make that are Membrane but there's none in TKL form. Again, I think it's personal preference regardless that membranes cost less, spill proof, etc.
It's kind of like digital piano keyboards, some prefer heavy weighted real piano type keys but they make high end stuff with both heavy and light keys.

Last edited: