[SOLVED] membrane switches in hotswap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yolor3stis

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
basically i currently own the razer ornata chrom and have removed the metal things in the keys i use for gaming. i have actually come to really like the feel of membrane switches for gaming and im thinking of building me a custom board with some tactile switches in most keys and membrane in wasd etc. is that possible??

Solution
Oh ok lol that's on another level I thought you meant theyd cost many times as much as a mech switch but that really is not feasible

Unless someone already designed what you are looking for and produced it, you would need to front the cost of the design and building it. That is where the cost comes in. Once you make 50,000 the first build cost is put into the cost of the product so you can charge $100 for it. If you build 1 or 2, then the full cost of the engineering is on that item cost. That is what people that use crowdfunding do, they gather $100,000 for the design and sell the product after that. If you are looking to buy one custom one off keyboard, then you pay the cost for all of it.
basically i currently own the razer ornata chrom and have removed the metal things in the keys i use for gaming. i have actually come to really like the feel of membrane switches for gaming and im thinking of building me a custom board with some tactile switches in most keys and membrane in wasd etc. is that possible??

Anything is possible if you toss enough money at it, but I will guess the amount you have in your head to spend on this is not what I am thinking it will cost you.

Well? Why not at least tell me what you were thinking of and how much it'd cost?

Pretty much what it would cost to prototype a new keyboard, need someone to design the PCB to hold the switches, I'd guess about $5,000 on the low end https://predictabledesigns.com/how-much-will-a-prototype-cost/ . It may be possible to desolder an existing set of switches from a keyboard and put in other switches that don't match it but that would really depend on how well the sizes match. Even that would cost a bunch to do if the wiring and layout of connections has to be modified.

yolor3stis

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
Pretty much what it would cost to prototype a new keyboard, need someone to design the PCB to hold the switches, I'd guess about $5,000 on the low end https://predictabledesigns.com/how-much-will-a-prototype-cost/ . It may be possible to desolder an existing set of switches from a keyboard and put in other switches that don't match it but that would really depend on how well the sizes match. Even that would cost a bunch to do if the wiring and layout of connections has to be modified.
Oh ok lol that's on another level I thought you meant theyd cost many times as much as a mech switch but that really is not feasible

Unless someone already designed what you are looking for and produced it, you would need to front the cost of the design and building it. That is where the cost comes in. Once you make 50,000 the first build cost is put into the cost of the product so you can charge $100 for it. If you build 1 or 2, then the full cost of the engineering is on that item cost. That is what people that use crowdfunding do, they gather $100,000 for the design and sell the product after that. If you are looking to buy one custom one off keyboard, then you pay the cost for all of it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.