Memo: Microsoft's 'Metro' UI to Get New Name 'This Week'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomsSound

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
I always disliked the name Metro ...
Although they did call the other one.. Aero... not much better.
Lets hope whatever they come up with is better..

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
OK Then Captain, how about 'Windows that most of us dont want' or 'Microsoft want's to be another Apple' or 'All hope is lost for the desktop Windows' and no shit it wasn't the point of changing the name, unless you realize its an attempt at damage control as the word about windows metro spreads.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Anyone own a Window manufacturing or sales company? I bet we can get Microsoft to change the name of Windows 8 to just 8!

I'm really shocked how Microsoft rolled over on this one without a fight.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Maybe they can call it: "Tard Tiles", "Win 9 Beta", or "Windows by Fisher Price". Seriously, Win 8 is a whole bag of fail. I will continue to use Win 7 until they can reverse the Cranio-rectal-insertion, and come out with an OS that doesn't look like a poor CrApple knockoff. If Win 9 looks anything like 8, I'll switch to Linux.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
@Kami3k Just for your information Valve is doing it and they will port 2500 games to Linux and it won't be waste of money cause Windows is dead platform. Wait until Windows 8 flops on Smart Phone and Tablets + Million of Pissed Desktop Users.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
As soon as Valve finishes Steam Project for Linux i am moving to Ubuntu 12 and f Windows all together. I will run it as Virtual OS under Linux so i can do some task for work since it requires Visual Studio.

[citation][nom]IH8U[/nom]Maybe they can call it: "Tard Tiles", "Win 9 Beta", or "Windows by Fisher Price". Seriously, Win 8 is a whole bag of fail. I will continue to use Win 7 until they can reverse the Cranio-rectal-insertion, and come out with an OS that doesn't look like a poor CrApple knockoff. If Win 9 looks anything like 8, I'll switch to Linux.[/citation]

Windows 8 doesn't look anything like Apple's stuff... As for people mocking Windows 8, you're being idiots. The OS is MS's best so far. Metro (or whatever MS decides to call it) is the problem in its current form, not the OS itself. Mocking Windows 8 for it is like shooting the messenger. Regardless, considering the fact that you don't need to use Metro except for logging in, mocking Windows 8 over it is kinda stupid anyway.

If you like the start menu that much, then you can simply install a new one or stick with Windows 7 if you're too lazy to spend a few minutes (tops) to install a new start menu. It isn't a beta for Windows 9 or anything like that. MS could have done much better and the motives behind Metro are both obvious and despicable. So, if you're going to mock something, you could at least mock the problem rather than something that is mostly unrelated to it.

Metro could have been put on a different version of Windows instead of Windows 8 and then the talks about it would be completely different. People are just ignoring the fact that Windows 8, as an OS, is faster, lighter, and overall better than Windows 7. It is often compared to Vista, yet most of the problems are completely different. Vista was a bad OS, granted it had other issues going for it such as the crap driver support and being too resource-heavy for most hardware of the time.

On top of all of that, Metro isn't even nearly as bad as most people here make it out to be. What does it take to open the control panel from the start menu? With the mouse, you can click on the start button in the lower-left corner of the display and click on the control panel. With Windows 8, you can click on the lower left corner (granted the mouse is as far left and down as it goes) and click the control panel. Is it really that much worse? No. With the start menu from Vista and 7, you also have the search bar.

With Metro, the search bar is simply hidden. You simply start typing just like you would with Vista and 7 and it appears with the text that you're typing. If you want to launch a program that is not on your desktop nor your task bar, then you can still do that easily too. Metro doesn't stop us from doing what we want to do nor even slow us down much, the desktop shell is still there, and you can always install a start menu if you really want to.

Some people might argue that you shouldn't have to do such to use the system how you want to, but there's Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and their derivatives to consider in this. They are used far more often altogether than IE, especially on sites such as Tom's. People are more than willing to download them and much other software, but you can't do the same for a start menu?

Here's one such start menu program:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Shell-Replacements/ViOrb.shtml
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Shell-Replacements/ViStart.shtml

and even a skin manager for this start menu:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Other-Desktop-Enhancements/ViStart-Skin-Manager.shtml

Then there's also Classic Shell, an alternative that can modify more aspects of the UI than just the start menu:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Shell-Replacements/Classic-Shell.shtml

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
This is what Windows 8 should be:

Get rid of Tray Icons and implement new Notification System
Keep UI Aero and Windows 7 UI. Keep Start Menu because it is perfect and it works great.
Add more gadgets
Bring back DreamScene
Add Ribbon Interface which they did with Windows 8 anyway
Get Rid of Registry
Fix Folder/File messy structure with Windows
Replace Windows Media Player with better one including Blu Ray Support, MVK Support, Flac support instead of removing even DVD support with Windows 8.
Kill Game Explorer -> useless
Kill Windows Indexing -> useless
Delete all the legacy crap From Windows
Replace Defragmentation Tool with better one
Merge WordPad and Office Word into one product
Replace Paint with something more like Paint.NET
Add Sharing features so files are easily shared with another devices as well as Facebook and other social features for tards.

Status
Not open for further replies.